Special B in place of Dark Crystal Malt

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

benkbenkbenk

Reaction score
Long time reader, first time poster... I have just cracked open my first bottle of my very first brew, it's a little too bitter but I know why, and that's the main thing right? anyway that is another story.

I am keen to get on to my second brew, I was going to follow this recipe for and American pale ale

Ingredients:
5 pounds, unhopped light dry malt extract
1/2 pound, dark crystal malt
1 ounce, Cascade hops (60 minute boil)
1/2 ounce, Cascade (30 minute boil)
1/2 ounce, Cascade (10 minute boil)
1/2--1 ounce, Cascade (dry hop)
Wyeast American ale yeast

However I couldn't get a dark crystal malt for steeping from my supply shop, but they did have some Special B. what the hell I thought, I'm sure it won't be too different. Now I'm worried, before I mess up my second batch I should probably ask on this forum, which has been essential reading in the build up to my first brew.

Any thoughts on what it would turn out like? Would the rich mealtimes of the special B clash with the happiness of this recipe? Or will I create an Americo-Belgian hybrid master piece?

Thanks!

Guess it depends on how dark the 'dark' crystal is in your recipe. To me, there isn't a whole lot of difference between Special B and Crystal 120 or 150. But if the idea of the dark crystal in the recipe is in the 60-80 range, you'll notice a big difference. Sorry for the vague answer, but that's what you get. :)

the only Dark crystal i know of is crystal malt dark 1 (90L) and crystal malt dark 2 (124L) by thomas fawsett. personally i would use crystal 40L

Back