Latest project:

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dude

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
Traveling kegerator!
travelkegerator.jpg

Holds TWO 3 gallon cornies
keg.jpg

It rolls!
itrolls.jpg

Once the kegs are fully carbed, I'll push beer with this:
D37.jpg

I can't wait to take this on a trial run!!!!

**Also, for those that think this is a waste of time/effort, the tower comes off easily, and the cooler can double as a fermenter, where a 5 or 6 gallon carboy fits inside. The neck of the carboy fits through the drilled hole. I can keep fermenting beer cool by adding ice.

**Disclaimer** I stole the idea. I could never come up with something so genius on my own.**

ORRELSE said:
Yep. I had one on hand, along with an extra tower, so I couldn't pass up doing this.
Now I wish 3 gallon cornies were more readily available. :mad:

However you've given me an idea---

Strap the keg to one side, a co21 tank to the other and run the beer through a coolant coil to the tower---- a traveling jockey box.

Waste of time or effort? No way!!! Thats excellent, and you deserve a lot of credit for making it. Well done!

orfy said:
Lovin' it!

How many bulbs do you recon it will take to push the full keg?

Don't know. that's up for experimentation!
A buddy of mine just gave me about 50 of the cartridges for free, so I figure I'll run out of beer WAY before CO2!!! :drunk:

kornkob said:
However you've given me an idea---

Strap the keg to one side, a co21 tank to the other and run the beer through a coolant coil to the tower---- a traveling jockey box.

Could work, but I'd be concerned about where to put brackets (or other methods on how to mount the keg and tanks) on the cooler. I'd think with all of the weight it would sacrifice the integrity of the cooler walls.

orfy said:
I have a buddy who uses a car foot pump to run the beer, but he complains when the beer goes stale after a day!

That's because he's pushing ambient air into the keg--- same principle as a party pump (like you get from a liquor store when you get a keg).

But for a tailgate party or a big cookout where you intend to drain the whole keg, air is fine.

ORRELSE said:
Could work, but I'd be concerned about where to put brackets (or other methods on how to mount the keg and tanks) on the cooler. I'd think with all of the weight it would sacrifice the integrity of the cooler walls.

See now, I was thinking of bolting something flat on the bottom of the cooler that stuck out the sides--- then the keg and the co2 woudl sit on a 'shelf'. Then use a comealong cargo strap to secure both containers to the keg.

Ah-- I'm probably over engineering. : )

ORRELSE said:
... but I'd be concerned about where to put brackets (or other methods on how to mount the keg and tanks) on the cooler. I'd think with all of the weight it would sacrifice the integrity of the cooler walls.

STOP!!! There's no need to mount anything.

Take a piece of CARDBOARD (make a template) measure/draw the shape of the inside of the cooler around 1/2 way up the INSIDE height. Forget about the area that's not raised, just make it a rectangle so it barely hits the inside walls.

Next, draw the shape of the container/tank in the center of the cardboard and cut it out. Next, fit it into the task for a fit and place it in the cooler.

Once it fits (or if it's too big you can always use a section of hose cut lengthwise for a bumper) transfer that template to a piece of 1/2 - 3/4" PLYWOOD and cut it out. You now have a wooden template, of the exact item you need.

Again, measure halfway up the height and take 4 pices or 1X1 and pre-drill 4 holes for screws and screw the legs through the top of the wood. Basically, make a small table.

This will keep the tank stabilized and upright during transport.

You will also need to add 4 holes (2 on each side of the tank) for your finger and thumb (like a bowling ball grip), or just 2 so you can insert your index finger in and bend it so you can lift out the table.

This is just an idea. I have also visualized other possibilities like making a template for 2 tanks, etc.

Merry Early Christmas! :D

HB99-- his response about the mounting was a reply to my suggestion of externally mounting the keg (and a co2 tank), since 3 gallon corney kegs are relatively uncommon.

But your suggestion woudl make a nice upgrade to his current system. In fact, you could use lexan instead of plywood which would make it more water resistant and more easily cleaned.

Ed_Savage said:
Check out this one I found!! You should do a dual tower setup. I don't know where the hell any ice would fit though!

Yep...Saw that on another forum somewhere too.

I have dual taps on my tower on the "real" kegerator at home, so if I feel the need, it would easily be interchangeable. I need to find more 3 gallon kegs before I think about that though. :(

The tap handle on the one you posted is pretty cool though. :cool:

kornkob said:
HB99-- his response about the mounting was a reply to my suggestion of externally mounting the keg (and a co2 tank), since 3 gallon corney kegs are relatively uncommon.

But your suggestion woudl make a nice upgrade to his current system. In fact, you could use lexan instead of plywood which would make it more water resistant and more easily cleaned.

Why would he want his keg to go warm?

Looking at the other pics that follow I can see he doesn't need my help. :D

He was all drunk over at my place when he drilled it. :D

Looks good, dude! Maybe I should quit brewing now, and just invite you over more often. ;)

Back