48 hours in on a yeast starter. Still has krausen

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

laserghost

Reaction score
There's still a thin krausen on my starter after 48 hours. The peak krausen was at about 16 hours and there was a bit of foam over. There is also a substantial amount of yeast sediment on the bottom.

Does the bit of krausen mean its still going and I should not cold crash it, or should I cold crash it since its been 48 hours?

I'm going to step it up so I'm trying to figure out when to cold crash.

The general consensus with starters is that yeast growth has peaked after about 12-16 hours, if I recall. Is this starter on a stir plate? I generally cold crash my starters after 24 to 36 hours after starting, using a stir plate. I am sure you could cold crash at this point and have it be alright. You don't need to get complete fermentation, just complete yeast growth.

Starters are for yeast growth, not full fermentation. Krausen is a good indication of healthy yeast, but you can pitch it now or cold crash it. You want your yeast to have fortified glycogen reserves, and 48 hours is plenty of time regardless of activity. This is especially true if you are stepping it up.

Back