Group grain buys in santa cruz?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bluetokamak

Reaction score
Hi all, I've been looking to become part of a group grain buy in santa cruz area to reduce costs. Anyone know of anything around this area? I'd probably be getting 2-3 sacks of 2 row and willing to split sacks of specialty grains.

Thanks guys.

Kevin

Kevin - I am in Santa Cruz and am just getting back into brewing after a couple years out of it. I am also looking for a place to buy bulk grains. When I was in the Bay Area, we would buy them from Certified Foods in San Leandro, but they have since moved to Woodland.

Seven Bridges Cooperative sells bulk sacks of organic grain. I had planned to start there unless you know of another source. Likewise, I was looking for 2-4 bags of 2-row and then assorted specialty grains.

Chad

The biggest problem in that area is that North Country Malt Group only sells to groups who already have an account. Your best bet is contacting local brewing clubs to see if someone has an active account. Morebeer in Los Altos has the best price on sacks of grain, 35.95 for a 50lb sack of GW 2-row, assuming you can't find a group for bulk purchase. If I remember you might be able to drive the price down to 32ish in a group. Alternatively talk to the brewers at Santa Cruz brewing or Boulder Creek and see if they'd let you order some malt through them.

chad,
Seven bridges does sell full sacks of grain but their cheapest is $50 for 2 row, and they only do a discount of 15% for 4 or more bags...so it wouldn't matter whether you purchased 4 bags or 20 bags. That's .86 per pound with tax, I was hoping for .50 per pound. I'd rather not buy in bulk if the savings are so small as it kind of defeats the purpose, except for specialty grains I suppose. Last time I went to seven bridges I asked one of the workers there about bulk buys and got an angry reply about them not giving discounts to all grain brewers...worst experience I've had there but maybe he was just having a bad day.

Chad, I found others who want to do a group buy and we're at about 1000 pounds so far, let me know if you want to join in with us. I'm also in communication with zymurgeeks brew club about a possible group buy.

buffalo,
I just found that section but don't see any for santa cruz. I guess this post should be moved to that section...whoops.

rockfish,
that's the problem I've run into. Brewery supply places will only sell to you if you are a resaler or a microbrewery, even if you want to buy bulk amounts. The only option I see at this point is to go through a brewery or find someone with an account as you say.

Thanks for the suggestions guys.

Kevin - Could you give me more details on the group purchase? Do you have a price list? You can email me at chadkecy at gmail dot com

Thanks!
Chad

Back