My solution to cleaning vinyl tubing

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

munkyhead8

Reaction score
I have somewhat hard water, so I've always had issues keeping my hoses clean. They always get cloudy after a few cleanings. I had seen the idea of running fishing line through the hose, then pulling a wad though to wipe it down. I gave it a try, and felt like it was a pain because of the curve of the hose.

So it hit me, don't pull the wad, push it. I grabbed my bike pump, which had an attachment to pump things like pool toys. I let the hose sit in some oxyclean for a while, stuffed part of a paper towel in and blew it through with the pump. It works great! The lines look brand new and gives you a little piece of mind. I would recommend doing this in the bath tub though. It's a tad messy :D

I'll have to give this a try. I just bought new tubing this weekend and I'd like to keep it nice and fresh.

I have somewhat hard water, so I've always had issues keeping my hoses clean. They always get cloudy after a few cleanings. I had seen the idea of running fishing line through the hose, then pulling a wad though to wipe it down. I gave it a try, and felt like it was a pain because of the curve of the hose.

So it hit me, don't pull the wad, push it. I grabbed my bike pump, which had an attachment to pump things like pool toys. I let the hose sit in some oxyclean for a while, stuffed part of a paper towel in and blew it through with the pump. It works great! The lines look brand new and gives you a little piece of mind. I would recommend doing this in the bath tub though. It's a tad messy :D

Yep, "OxyClean Free" is a brewer's best friend. It takes everything out including Iodophor stains.

Ha! I'll have to try it with my compressor. I have a piece of 22 gauge solid strain wire that I use to snake out hoses and canes but shooting the swab out with compressed air sounds a lot more fun.

Great idea, im always trying to figure out ways to cleanthe tubing, and it seems like i have to buy new tubing every 3-4 brews, but now i will try this!

FWIW, I use a wad of paper towel and a broomstick. It takes a little effort, but it cleans a lot better than just soaking !

Great solution, I was thinking the same thing to remove the crud. Just like cleaning a gun barrel - just no rifling ...

Great idea, im always trying to figure out ways to cleanthe tubing, and it seems like i have to buy new tubing every 3-4 brews, but now i will try this!

wow that would be kinda expensive for me as I run 27 feet of tubing

Was trying to figure out how to clean mine yesterday and my wife found this post. Great idea!
It was also pretty darn cool squishing the paper plug through... but yes, messy. Splat!
-bill

I learned the hard way. As soon as you finish using the tubing run clean water thru. Don't let anything dry in it cept clean water.

I learned the hard way. As soon as you finish using the tubing run clean water thru. Don't let anything dry in it cept clean water.

Yeah, a good goal, except I was using mine for blowoff tubing and it dries out before you want to remove it because of the infection risk. This is a good solution when you're stuck with it.
-bill

Back