Warm fermenting yeast for Maibock

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jamesnsw

Reaction score
I'm wanting to do a maibock, and am not sure what yeast to use. I will be able to get mid 60's temperatures, maybe into the upper 50's with a swamp cooler, but I'm not willing to bank on it.

I'd love to use Pacman like for Dead Guy, but don't have access to it. My other thoughts are to use an alt or kolsch yeast, or even the San Francisco Lager (WLP810). Also considering Papazian's Cry Havok.

What are your thoughts or experiences?

My other thoughts are to use an alt or kolsch yeast, or even the San Francisco Lager (WLP810).

Any of those would be fine IMO.

I'd love to use Pacman like for Dead Guy, but don't have access to it.

Can you not get a bottle to harvest from? You could always order online as well if that doesn't work.

I didn't realize Pacman has been rereleased. Didn't even consider harvesting from the bottles, but I do have a new stirplate to play with... Hmm. Cheaper AND I get to drink beer.

+1 on Pacman. I heard somewhere back when Dead Guy was one of John Maier's homebrew recipes it was actually a Maibock.

I just finished the Dead Guy clone from Can You Brew It. I bought Pacman online, and it worked as advertised. Best tasting beer I have ever made!!

Back