Man, I love Apfelwein

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
add me as a club member. just started up batch #1 of the Apfelwein. I cut the dextrose to 1 pound though...just not a fan of really dry stuff. and hey, I like to muck things up.

may very well sweeten with splenda, and plan to serve this carbed up.

malkore said:
add me as a club member. just started up batch #1 of the Apfelwein. I cut the dextrose to 1 pound though...just not a fan of really dry stuff. and hey, I like to muck things up.

may very well sweeten with splenda, and plan to serve this carbed up.

I sweetened with a half pound of lactose, since it is unfermentable...The test tastes I've had so far have proven quite tasty...the perfect balance of dryness and sweetness.

i used 2 lbs of honey in mine instead of dextrose, it sure smells good comin out of the air lok. what results have you guys had using honey?

BigKahuna said:
I assume that this means that Splenda is not fermentable? What about the funny flavor it has...like in Ice Tea?

Splenda is non fermentable...and like you said it has a funny taste. That's why lactose (milk sugar) has been/is the most common method of sweetening beer.... look up the history milk or cream stouts...they were even prescribed by doctors for nusring and pregnant mothers.

What kind of bottles do you guys use to bottle your cider?
I am thinking of just using PET bottles.

I bottled my first batch of Apfelwein about a week ago, after letting it ferment for about 9 weeks. Pretty good stuff, but a little too dry for my tastes. I'm reserving judgement for a few glasses of it after it carbonates, but I know that the flat stuff mixed with a little apple juice was mighty tasty :)

I think I'll cut back on the added sugar on my next batch, and try out an ale yeast to get a less dry end result.

solidghost said:
So you guys use glass bottles?

Yup.

And for the person wondering about underpitching in 6 gallons, believe me, you'll be fine. Also, a tip if you're doing 6 gallons in a 6.5 gallon fermenter, DO NOT rehydrate the yeast. The time I didn't rehydrate it, it had barely any kraeusen.

BB theoretically should last as long as glass due to the chemicals put into it... father is a ChemE. (Plastic Additives)

BigKahuna said:
I assume that this means that Splenda is not fermentable? What about the funny flavor it has...like in Ice Tea?

we use splenda in a lot of things around the house, and I while I do understand the 'different' flavor it has than cane sugar, I don't find it offensive.

Equal tastes like crap to me...bitter, nasty crap. Sweet n Low is sweet, but tastes fake. Splenda tastes a lot like sugar to me, but a little different. I can tell the difference between a cup of coffee w/ sugar and w/ splenda.

don't get me wrong though...I'll defintely perform some kind of taste test first to decide if splenda is gonna taste 'right' in apfelwein.

other wise, can you add lactose at bottling? could I just add it with some priming sugar to 2 cups of boiled water? never used lactose in anything.

I've done some research on the PET bottles, and I think it would be fine. The percentage of permeability compared to other plastics is substantial. It barely registers, and should be ok for months of ageing. Also, it is supposed to be excellent against flavor scalping (although I'd not use that that has pickles or somehting like that in it.

I'm going to be using water bottles from where I work. They are PETE, which looks to be fairly common nowadays.

Hey guys, I am sure it has already been covered here, but I'm gona ask anyway.

Do any of you re use your yeast for Apfelwein? Seeing as how most of us that have made it keep making it, I was thinking sort of an unending yeast cake that you just keep adding apple juice and dextrose on top of. So I could siphon all of the wine off, keep 1.5 - 2 inches on th ebottom of the fermenter, and just pour in more juice and dextrose.

I would guess the addition of the new liquid would definitely stir up the yeast well enough to wake it right up.

PeteOz77 said:
Hey guys, I am sure it has already been covered here, but I'm gona ask anyway.

Do any of you re use your yeast for Apfelwein? Seeing as how most of us that have made it keep making it, I was thinking sort of an unending yeast cake that you just keep adding apple juice and dextrose on top of. So I could siphon all of the wine off, keep 1.5 - 2 inches on th ebottom of the fermenter, and just pour in more juice and dextrose.

I would guess the addition of the new liquid would definitely stir up the yeast well enough to wake it right up.

You read my mind! I was thinking the same thing a few minutes ago. I mean why not ? ( I hope to have this "conventional" wisdom shot down ). I would like to keep 2 carboys in semi perpetual Apfelwein creation. Of course you would have to clean it eventually ( or would you? )

Yeast is so cheap I wouldn't bother. Haven't tried it with my 4 batches, but $1 of yeast vs $18 in juice isn't worth messing with.

The main problem is mutation.

If the more complex sugars in apple juice fall out of favor constantly with the same yeast, you may eventually get a less attenuating yeast strain.

The most common is to not reuse more than 5 generations, so that would still get you pretty far.

I'm sure it's been discussed before and someone will chime in with real life experience.

Homercidal said:
I've done some research on the PET bottles, and I think it would be fine. The percentage of permeability compared to other plastics is substantial. It barely registers, and should be ok for months of ageing. Also, it is supposed to be excellent against flavor scalping (although I'd not use that that has pickles or somehting like that in it.

I'm going to be using water bottles from where I work. They are PETE, which looks to be fairly common nowadays.

I saw a lot of such bottles in my office as well. They keep water for the water dispenser and the water company always seem to re-use those bottles. Looks like a good deal. Big, cheap and lasting.

solidghost said:
I saw a lot of such bottles in my office as well. They keep water for the water dispenser and the water company always seem to re-use those bottles. Looks like a good deal. Big, cheap and lasting.

99.9% of the ones that you see like that are not PET and are only meant for water or similar uses like that.

DeadDoc said:
99.9% of the ones that you see like that are not PET and are only meant for water or similar uses like that.

If they're pet use them....but most of them are polycarbonate NOT PET or PETE.

Polycarbonate uses BPA (bisphenol-A) in it's production. BPA may mimic the natural female sex hormone estradiol. In animal research it has been linked to female reproductive disorders, breast and prostate cancer, and attention and developmental problems.

Basically polycarbonate bottles have the potentiality to leach stuff into your water or beer...

I just found a home water purification company online that switched to shipping better bottles with their filter systems, because of the difficulty of finding ones that weren't polycarbonate.

I'm betting in the near future more and more water distributors will be going the same route because of all the press about estradiol in water bottles, and we'll be able to find more and more Pet water jugs at the big box stores then there are now...

And since it looks like the Better Bottle people are one of the few producers of the product, more companies are jumping online to fill the need. Which of course means the prices will go down.

Evidently some people are already finding Pet bottles in the water section of Homedepot and other big box stores now...so some places are making the switch already.

Anyone have any idea what type of apples are used for making traditional apple juice? Traditional apple juice is very clear. I started a cider tonight with 5 gallons of apple juice made from macintosh apples. The juice was very dark, almost as dark as unfermented cider...

skier! said:
Anyone have any idea what type of apples are used for making traditional apple juice? Traditional apple juice is very clear. I started a cider tonight with 5 gallons of apple juice made from macintosh apples. The juice was very dark, almost as dark as unfermented cider...

I think it can be done from many apples.... Most fresh juice is dark if I recall correctly. The clear juice has been worked with. GA happens to be a huge apple state ad only an hour away from a huge apple area! :) Would have bought all my juice from there but the cost was twice as much.

A guy I ride the train with was saying something about cider apples (alcoholic cider) being from specific tree varieties, ones that produced apples with terrible juice (unfermented). He sent me a link to some random website that discussed the decline of the varieties of these trees. Anyone else hear about this?

He also mentioned something about tannins. I was very sleepy, it was an early train.

Is there anyway to check whether a bottle is PET or not?
Those coke bottles should be PET right?

DeadDoc said:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Apple_juice

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Apple_cider
Ciders are generally multiple apple types in one batch to produce a balanced taste.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cider Hard Cider

Lots of knowledge on these pages.

Absolutely nothing to do with my question but apparently apple juice is made from a blend of apples. I bought a juice that is made from 100% macs. Should be interesting how it comes out.

http://www.motts.com/product_info/varieties.asp

Well, all the interest here drew me in and I bought supplies this past weekend to make a batch per the original specs. What a fun thread...
Walmart had 100% pure Apple Juice (only ascorbic added) for $2.50 per 3qts. fwiw.
I'll be starting this weekend!
:)

DeadDoc said:

I don't know how many are out there, but I'm glad they are being used here!

To see if the bottles are PET, or PETE, simply look on the bottom of the bottle (or the top, if they are inverted on top of the cooler/dispenser). It should say PET, or PETE. Then you know.

It'll have this symbol,

pet_recycling_symbol.png

Here's some of the other codes....and some info.

recycleCodes.jpg

1. PET or PETE – Light gauge containers such as store bought pop bottles should be a one time use only. Heavier gauge containers show no evidence of leaching chemicals.

2. HDPE – not known to leach unwanted chemicals.

3. PVC or V – Bad – Strong evidence to show the leaching of DEHA, a known human carcinogen.

4. LDPE – not known to leach unwanted chemicals although not as widely recycled as #1 or #2.

5. PP – not known to leach unwanted chemicals although not as widely recycled as #1 or #2.

6. PS - suspected to possibly leach harmful carcinogens

7. Assorted but usually polycarbonate – Bad – may contain leaching BPA.

Basically though 1 is the best 2 is ok....the other ones besides leaching problems are also the most succesible to oxygen permeability.

I just checked the Deep Rock Jugs here in the office....They say "PET Approved for Drinking Water"
Does this mean that I just got a nearly unlimited supply of primary fermentors for the $5.00 deposit?
Man! I'm gonna have to build an addition to the house.

BigKahuna said:
I just checked the Deep Rock Jugs here in the office....They say "PET Approved for Drinking Water"
Does this mean that I just got a nearly unlimited supply of primary fermentors for the $5.00 deposit?
Man! I'm gonna have to build an addition to the house.

YES IT DOES!!

Revvy said:
If they're pet use them....but most of them are polycarbonate NOT PET or PETE.

Polycarbonate uses BPA (bisphenol-A) in it's production. BPA may mimic the natural female sex hormone estradiol. In animal research it has been linked to female reproductive disorders, breast and prostate cancer, and attention and developmental problems.

Basically polycarbonate bottles have the potentiality to leach stuff into your water or beer...

I just found a home water purification company online that switched to shipping better bottles with their filter systems, because of the difficulty of finding ones that weren't polycarbonate.

I'm betting in the near future more and more water distributors will be going the same route because of all the press about estradiol in water bottles, and we'll be able to find more and more Pet water jugs at the big box stores then there are now...

And since it looks like the Better Bottle people are one of the few producers of the product, more companies are jumping online to fill the need. Which of course means the prices will go down.

Evidently some people are already finding Pet bottles in the water section of Homedepot and other big box stores now...so some places are making the switch already.

Pet leaches
Plastic Identification Code Type of plastic polymer Properties Common Packaging Applications
1 Polyethylene Terephthalate (PET, PETE) Clarity, strength, toughness, barrier to gas and moisture. Soft drink, water and salad dressing bottles; peanut butter and jam jars
2 High Density Polyethylene (HDPE) Stiffness, strength, toughness, resistance to moisture, permeability to gas. Milk, juice and water bottles; yogurt and margarine tubs; trash and retail bags.
3 Polyvinyl Chloride (V) Versatility, clarity, ease of blending, strength, toughness. Juice bottles; cling films
4 Low Density Polyethylene (LDPE) Ease of processing, strength, toughness, flexibility, ease of sealing, barrier to moisture. Frozen food bags; squeezable bottles, e.g. honey, mustard; cling films; flexible container lids.
5 Polypropylene (PP) Strength, toughness, resistance to heat, chemicals, grease and oil, versatile, barrier to moisture. Reusable microwaveable ware; kitchenware; yogurt containers; margarine tubs; microwaveable disposable take-away containers; disposable cups and plates.
6 Polystyrene (PS) Versatility, clarity, easily formed Egg cartons; disposable cups, plates, trays and cutlery; disposable take-away containers; yogurt and margarine containers
7 Other Dependent on polymers or combination or polymers. Beverage bottles; baby milk bottles.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bisphenol_A

If the water I drink at the office all day comes from a type 7 water bottle how can apple cider from the same bottle be any worse?

chione said:
If the water I drink at the office all day comes from a type 7 water bottle how can apple cider from the same bottle be any worse?
Alcohol tends to do very funny (or Not So Funny) things to plastics. If you don't have the right kind of plastic...you'll at best come up with off flavors. The chemicals can make you sick as hell.

knarfks said:
Yeast is so cheap I wouldn't bother. Haven't tried it with my 4 batches, but $1 of yeast vs $18 in juice isn't worth messing with.

It's not so much a matter of cost as it is convenience. I am thinking that if i can reuse the yeast 2-3 times, it means that I don't have to clean and sanitise, plus pitch etc. If I can just siphon and top up 3 times in a row, that makes life a lot easier, especially since I intend on ALWAYS having a batch fermenting....

Ok so I guess they have finally swapped their jugs now.

I know my dad picked one up long long ago back when they were glass.... so I have a 5 Gallon sick as hell looking Glass Carboy. Maybe I will take a picture when my beer runs clear or just when its empty.

Back