Starch conversion test question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

becksbolero2

Reaction score
So I've been doing starch conversion tests at the end of all my mashes. I read that if the mash is not complete then it will turn black/purple. For my past three batches at the end of the 60 min the tests have all turned red. Even if I let it mash longer it seems to stay the same color. Can someone clue me in on what's going on. ( my last few batches have also come out pretty thin tasting.
Thanks for the help

-Joe

So I've been doing starch conversion tests at the end of all my mashes. I read that if the mash is not complete then it will turn black/purple. For my past three batches at the end of the 60 min the tests have all turned red. Even if I let it mash longer it seems to stay the same color. Can someone clue me in on what's going on. ( my last few batches have also come out pretty thin tasting.
Thanks for the help

-Joe
Yeah, been there too. A bunch of folks here swear by the iodine test. The only problem is what iodine and what are they seeing.A bunch of years ago I read somewhere that if it"s going to convert, it will all be over in 90 min. I took that advice and never looked back. My mash/laugher efficiency is consistantly in the 90-92% range. I'm in no hurry. Isn't this a hobby? :D

Thanks for the help

-Joe

I did this for the first time yesterday, (had many issues).

The iodine solution itself is reddish. To figure out if I was done, I took a piece of paper towel. In one spot, I put some of the mash liquid. In another spot, I put a bit of flour. I then dabbed 3 dots of iodine, one on the mash liquid, one on the flour, and one just on the paper towel.

This gave me a clear view of what was up. The flour dot turned BLACK, (it's all starch, right?). The mash dot was the same color as the dot just on the paper towel, so I was able to compare colors and confirm that I was all the way converted.

Yes reddish is OK. That is the color of the iodine. Having said that, I never do the test. It all converts if you give it time.

Back