when is it not beer?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
wit dat said wine is higher %abv.

Anything over 14% I should age like wine? Below that and it's still beer? Alright, I'll get off my semantics trip and go with the half and half. See what happens.

thanks for the FABULOUS information Revvy. I will try to temper my pink cloud induced over-zealousness too. (did i show some?) I think if I speak with others about home brewing I will begin with an appropriate disclaimer like "The surgeon general has determined the following information may be tainted with arrogant proselytizations...consume at your own risk"

revvy said:
What's funny on places like this is that they expect that everyone on here believes exactly the same thing, exactly like you do i.e. Bmc=bad/evil empire/the beer of dumb folks, etc.

And they get damn indignant when we don't play along.

Truth hurts eh? ;)

Dude, it's no big deal, you're not the first cowboy in this rodeo, and you won't be the last coming on here with that attitude....it's human nature, it's in every hobby.....relax.

Noone's judging you, we've all seen this before...99.9% of what I posted, I cut and pasted form the countless other threads, where we've had this "discussion." Taint no big thing.

Enjoy what you enjoy, LEARN as much as possible. Share and discuss with those who share your enthusiasm, that's why we have communities, like this, to come together with other like minded people.

But don't make it about us vs them...that's all. Just enjoy.

Anything over 14% I should age like wine? Below that and it's still beer? Alright, I'll get off my semantics trip and go with the half and half. See what happens.

A Barleyine is still a beer. It's still carbed. But it's aged for awhile, to let the alcohol burn fade and the flavors come together.

A Barleyine is still a beer. It's still carbed. But it's aged for awhile, to let the alcohol burn fade and the flavors come together.

I wish I had some more of this stuff, planning to do something similar when the blackberries are in season, start with an extra pale ale, transfer it to secondary with the fruit, extra sugars and wine yeast. It appears that beer yeast and wine yeast get along just fine. If I carb and bottle it, it will be a very fruity ale? Not in a hurry to start bottling, will let the flavors settle more and the harshness wear down first.

there, now to get to the Brew Hut to pick up the stuff for their Saison Du Monde. Sounds yummy.....orange bitters and spices......hmmm.

Wow. And I thought I was clear enough to humble myself and voice my opinions.

I don't care what you call your fermented beverages.

I don't care what religon you Follow.

I don't care what your political Views are.

If I don't like someone it's because you are an A$$.

Revvy, you became quite an indignant twit during this post. As intolerant of my views as you were, you became the other side of the same coin that you were acusing me of being.

That being said, What ever you need to believe to make it through your day and be a good person and a productive member of society, then do it. As long as you are not harming anyone else in the process, Who cares?

And Yes, I am a PK who has done my reaserch on this topic.

Enough said. Done.

I didn't think anyone was being a twit, just got a little off-topic. That happens in beer debates. Some have strong opinions and have the right to state them, that is all. Carry on and try to play nicely...

47778-5tKcKgif-t913.gif

this-is-gonna-be-good.gif

Hahahaha! This is great. A simple question turns into huge rants in yet another thread.

It would be fun to have a wrestling pit somewhere on this site. That's not good beer, that is good beer!!! That's not even beer!! Yes, it is!!!!! Then boom, down in the pit, duking it out. Spectators cheering, the crowd is roaring for action!!! No rules, just duke it out!!! :p

W. As intolerant of my views as you were, you became the other side of the same coin that you were acusing me of being.

We had a lively conversation, but noone, least of all me was "indignant." You put your views out there, and other people put there's out there....that's the nature of a discussion.

Hell if you count the number of likes in this thread to things I said, the OP who we bantered back and forth with acknowledged and liked just about everything I wrote, even the stuff that countered what he said, the nature of a good intense discussion, when people agree to disagree, yet RESPECT what was said.....so methinks the only one who has any issues in this thread is you.

I wish I had some more of this stuff, planning to do something similar when the blackberries are in season, start with an extra pale ale, transfer it to secondary with the fruit, extra sugars and wine yeast. It appears that beer yeast and wine yeast get along just fine. If I carb and bottle it, it will be a very fruity ale? Not in a hurry to start bottling, will let the flavors settle more and the harshness wear down first.

I just ran to the lhbs and picked up the stuff to make a rough clone of Dogfish Head's Midas Touch, now HERE's a disjointed beverage if you've ever brewed one.

It has a base of malt extract, then it has grapejuice AND honey, along with hops...so besides the oldest fermented beverage known to man, just what is it? A beer, a wine or a mead?

there, now to get to the Brew Hut to pick up the stuff for their Saison Du Monde. Sounds yummy.....orange bitters and spices......hmmm.

Saisons could almost be considered another "What is this" beverage....yes it's a beer, BUT it's higer carbed than most beers, almost to a champagne mode, and historically it was meant to refresh framers working in the franco/belgian fields...so It's not something to get snackered with, more so to quench the thirst.

oh...crap....my daughter is helping me and she dumped the Fuggle into the pot without putting it in the hops bag....izzat gonna be a problem? by the way....I just broke out a bottle of Belgian Pale Ale (BB kit with citra swapped for cascade)... best recipe yet...this beer is awesome.....even after just two weeks in a bottle...had to try it. oof... 6.96 abv....call me the woozy brewer.

cageybee said:
oh...crap....my daughter is helping me and she dumped the Fuggle into the pot without putting it in the hops bag....izzat gonna be a problem? by the way....I just broke out a bottle of Belgian Pale Ale (BB kit with citra swapped for cascade)... best recipe yet...this beer is awesome.....even after just two weeks in a bottle...had to try it. oof... 6.96 abv....call me the woozy brewer.

Lol you'll be fine ... as long as you don't use a plate chiller. Might get a little more bitterness/flavor and have to scrub the pot more. Definitely still beer ;).

I have some of the Lenten beers from The Bruery sitting in my fridge - Brett based saisons. Looks like beer, smells like beer, tastes like something else entirely. Sour beers are a weird animal. Would love to open one now, but I have a date with some knotweed and a machete on a steep hillside. I'll have to wait till that task is done before I start drinking!

A beer, a wine or a mead?

Maybe we should just come up with new names for stuff, don't call it beer or mead if it's meer. Don't call it wine or beer if it's weer. Meerweer could be the name for something that is not really beer, not really wine and not really a mead.

:tank:

If it doesn't have hops, it's not beer.

To the pit! :rockin:

Rosemary and other things in gruit have been used from times BC. Hops are an AD ingredient. Boom!

I stopped using a hop bag after my 2nd or 3rd beer.....I just dump everything in the kettle.

Oh-no-you-do-not. :eek: That's going to make your beer, if you can even call it that, all grassy and vegetal. ;)

Your Honor, I'm suing to get the last six minutes of my life back....

LOL, it's amazing. Once someone oversensitive gets b#tthurt and trashes what could be a good discussion with a healthy (and unoffensive) dose of ribbing.

I dont mean to insult the tastes of others, but being a home coffee roaster that that cant abide by flavorings added to "coffee" (snob...I know), how much stuff (fruit, etc) can one add to a brew before its not beer anymore? i hope to start a fiery debate like the one on odds, only more interesting....(maybe not as interesting as Mary Ann vs Ginger)

I drink my coffee black, in fact I spend a lot of time in Mexico and have become quite a snob spending time in the jungle checking out every roaster I can find, it's super fun and amazing we tolerate the crap that is sent to us as an "import".

That said, I cannot live in Portland like I do and call someones beer creation 'not a beer', good way to be chased down by a mob. If you can think of it, most likely someone has done it here, that said, the question is too vague to begin with. The question should be, when is a Hefeweizen not a Hefeweizen, or a porter, or blond, red, brown, stout, sweet, sour, pepper and the list goes on. There are literally hundreds of any one kind of beer according to ones particular interpretation or alteration.

In conclusion, crack one open, admire it, drink it and be hoppy!

I think we need to admit there are beers we hate that are still beer.

A hefe has some strict requirements to be a hefe, but its beer. A hefe is a wheat beer, not all wheat beers are hefes, but they are beer.

bmc is beer
papst is beer
stout is beer.

jury it still out on exactly where a beer stops being beer and wanders into being a Braggart or gruit.

BobbiLynn said:
But can we still wrestle in the pit?

I'm hoping. Pit wrestling is always fun when beer is involved.

Speaking of which, now that I've put the sharp objects away I can go drink that beine (needs grapes to be weer), and honey to be bee-ine).

I'm hoping. Pit wrestling is always fun when beer is involved.

Speaking of which, now that I've put the sharp objects away I can go drink that beine (needs grapes to be weer), and honey to be bee-ine).

So, strawberries don't count as weer? It has to be grapes? I shall see you in the pit...

BobbiLynn said:
So, strawberries don't count as weer? It has to be grapes? I shall see you in the pit...

After drinking a Theobroma, this thread makes a lot more sense. Sorry about questioning the strawberry weer. :(

Still on for the pit though!

I have only a few batches under my belt, but I dont think that necessarily nullifies my opinion. While I agree that enjoying or even preferring a BMC beer is a perfectly legitimate life choice, what I disagree with is the idea that "beer is just beer" and should thus not be taken too seriously.

Much like rice, millet, or plantains beer is a foodstuff that hundreds of millions if not hundreds of billions of people both living and dead have enjoyed in a miriad of forms. Beer was drank by slaves while they build the pyramids in egypt, and by the Founding Fathers while they fleshed out the Declaration of Independance, the Articles of Confederation, and later the Constitution. It has been drank in place of other foods and drank in place of polluted water. Everytime one pours a beer into a glass and enjoys it, there is a good chance that one of that person's heros from history had had a very similar if not identicle experience. While fights have broke out after beer's consumption, so too have people decided to desist hostilities and discuss the matter over a beer.

From a historic, cultural, and in some cases, even spiritual aspect beer is more than just a fizzy beverage.

/rant /rave

To answer the original question, I would say that a beverage that did not start with a grain or a grain extract and had not been fermented would not be a beer. For example, Malta Goya.

well, so it has been proven here that you can make chicken soup beer....and it's still beer. the new intriguing question of the day is (to me): can you make beer from processed grains? would it be theoretically possible to make beer from Wheaties? not saying anyone would want to.....

well, so it has been proven here that you can make chicken soup beer....and it's still beer. the new intriguing question of the day is (to me): can you make beer from processed grains? would it be theoretically possible to make beer from Wheaties? not saying anyone would want to.....

If you do a cereal mash using a grain like 2-row with diastatic powers to convert the starch of other grains to sugar. Wheetabix and Corn Flakes has been used in that way. Same with popcorn. I've used tortilla chips in my cream ale.

Also cereals can be used to flavor wort, as done in iron brewer competitions with things like cap n crunch, coco puffs, or fruity pebbles...in this case little or no actual conversion happens, but all the sugars already present and the flavorings permeate the wort, and contribute to the rest of the grain bill.

Cookies, pumpkin pies, all manner of things have been used that way. I've a pretty well known recipe on here using ginger snap cookies in the mash tun for a brown ale.

would it be theoretically possible to make beer from Wheaties? not saying anyone would want to.....

I have used processed grain as an ingredient, but that along with 2-row and brown sugar and of course the beer yeast. Kashi, made with 7 whole grains, sounded good so made some beer with it. Turned out good.

Anything is possible if you put your mind to it.

Just saying.........

Rogue - Maple Bacon Ale
Rogue-Voodoo-Doughnut-Bacon-Maple-Ale1.jpg

If you do a cereal mash using a grain like 2-row with diastatic powers to convert the starch of other grains to sugar. Wheetabix and Corn Flakes has been used in that way. Same with popcorn. I've used tortilla chips in my cream ale.

Also cereals can be used to flavor wort, as done in iron brewer competitions with things like cap n crunch, coco puffs, or fruity pebbles...in this case little or no actual conversion happens, but all the sugars already present and the flavorings permeate the wort, and contribute to the rest of the grain bill.

Cookies, pumpkin pies, all manner of things have been used that way. I've a pretty well known recipe on here using ginger snap cookies in the mash tun for a brown ale.

OMG.

I guess mammals are off-limits?

Revvy said:
Hell if you count the number of likes in this thread to things I said, the OP who we bantered back and forth with acknowledged and liked just about everything I wrote, even the stuff that countered what he said, the nature of a good intense discussion, when people agree to disagree, yet RESPECT what was said.....so methinks the only one who has any issues in this thread is you.

Not really. You come off as extremely arrogant on this thread, a know-it-all. OP asks an interesting question and you high jack the thread for an unrelated rant. Take your own advice man.

The question was "when is it not beer". Question you have been ranting about seems to be "BMC sucks, how can anyone like it it?" But NO ONE asked that question.

This thread is clearly not about the original question anymore, but I would argue that a good case could be made that any malt based fermented beverage could be called beer. Gotta have some % of malted barley in the base and gotta have yeast. Could be an interesting discussion.

rklinck said:
And let's be honest, many people who claim to have "discerning taste" in beer and say they want to educate others simply assume that when I say I don't like something it is because my palate is simply not refined enough.

Shortly before we got married, we took a quick getaway because my wife was going nuts with wedding stuff. We visited a tasting room and to be honest, Carlo Rossi was about the extent of my wine experience at the time (cause it was a cheap way to get drunk).

We're going through the whole "buttery notes" and "melon flavor" stuff that goes along with tasting and I honestly said "yeah, I can't quite taste any of that stuff".

The lady doing the tasting gave me the best advice ever. She told "buy what you think tastes good". My tastes are a little more discerning with wine now, but I still follow that basic rule. It simplifies things.

I think most BMC drinkers simply like the stuff. They buy what they like.

Not really. You come off as extremely arrogant on this thread, a know-it-all. OP asks an interesting question and you high jack the thread for an unrelated rant. Take your own advice man.

The question was "when is it not beer". Question you have been ranting about seems to be "BMC sucks, how can anyone like it it?" But NO ONE asked that question.

This thread is clearly not about the original question anymore, but I would argue that a good case could be made that any malt based fermented beverage could be called beer. Gotta have some % of malted barley in the base and gotta have yeast. Could be an interesting discussion.

UT oh

geoffey said:

Threads on here often go to places beyond the original question. And the thread starter was involved in the diversion.

ladodger34 said:
Shortly before we got married, we took a quick getaway because my wife was going nuts with wedding stuff. We visited a tasting room and to be honest, Carlo Rossi was about the extent of my wine experience at the time (cause it was a cheap way to get drunk).

We're going through the whole "buttery notes" and "melon flavor" stuff that goes along with tasting and I honestly said "yeah, I can't quite taste any of that stuff".

The lady doing the tasting gave me the best advice ever. She told "buy what you think tastes good". My tastes are a little more discerning with wine now, but I still follow that basic rule. It simplifies things.

I think most BMC drinkers simply like the stuff. They buy what they like.

The advice you got is what we should all live by, with the caveat that we should try new things too (because tastes change).

Back