Baltika clone recipes?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

fightingswede

Reaction score
Hi! I travel to Russia once or twice a year and love the Baltika stable of beers, especially 6 and 9. I have googled numerous times and can't find a clone recipe for either of those. Anyone know of one? BTW, if you can find them in a store, buy either of them. The 6 is a delicious baltic porter and 9 will get you drunk on your ass. Thanks for any/all help.

There is Baltika porter clone recipe in "Beer Captured". I'll take a look when get back home. I did it once. Good one. Requires long lagering time.

Here it goes:

All grain 5 Gallons
OG 1.072
FG 1.017
SRM: 100+
IBU: 31
ABV: 7.0%

12.33 lb (5.6kg) German 2-row Pilsner malt
11 oz. (311g) British chocolate malt
8 oz. (226g) Belgian Cara-Munich Malt
6 oz. (170g) US 60L Crystal Malt
4 oz. (113g) British Black Patent Malt

1.25 oz (35g) Northern [email protected] AA (10.5HBU) 60 min.
1/4 oz (7g) Hallertau @15min
1tsp Irish Moss

For All grain they recommend to mash @151F for 90 min. and use 34% less of bittering hops.

Recommended yeast is Wyeast 2308 or 2124.

I did this recipe while ago, but from what I remember I'd reduce black patent or subbed it with Carafa to reduce that burn flavor.

Good luck!

This is great! I've never AG'd before though. Any suggestions on converting it to a partial extract recipe?

I don't think you can do this recipe with extract only. But for PM book suggests using 5.25 lb of Mutons Extra Light DME plus 3.5 lb Light LME instead of Pilsner base malt.

I'm going to brew a one gallon test batch tomorrow, so I scaled everything down by 5

2.5 lb German 2-row Pilsner malt
0.13 lb (2 oz) British chocolate malt
0.1 lb (1.6 oz) Belgian Cara-Munich Malt
0.7 lb (11.2 0z) US 60L Crystal Malt
0.05 lb (.8 oz) British Black Patent Malt

0.25 oz (35g) Northern [email protected] AA (10.5HBU) 60 min.
.05 oz (1.4g) Hallertau @15min
1/5 tsp Irish Moss

Saflager s-23 yeast (1/2 package)

Does anyone else brew this small? I have a small kitchen so I scale down.

I don't think you can do this recipe with extract only. But for PM book suggests using 5.25 lb of Mutons Extra Light DME plus 3.5 lb Light LME instead of Pilsner base malt.

I must be missing something, because none of the other grains in that recipe require mashing.

If you can find pilsner malt extract (they make it in LME form) then use that at a ratio of .75 lbs LME to 1 lbs grain.

Otherwise, use 100% extra light DME at a ratio of .6 lbs DME to 1 lbs grain.

The rest of the grains can be steeped.

MK - i've seen people doing one gallon batches just recently. Do a search in here, they were doing it pretty hardcore.
Also, do more posts with updates on your brew. I was looking for Baltika 6 clones just recently and ended up brewing something similar this past weekend. It's more of a porter and not lagered, but I was aiming at Baltika when I did it.

3lbs Munich
2lbs Vienna
2 lbs Pilsner (Ger)
.5lb Chocolate
.5lb Cystal 60L
5oz. Flaked wheat
.25 Carafa dehusked

1oz Santiam boil
1.4 oz Saaz 12 mins
Safale US-05 @59F

I may add .75-1lb dark muscavado sugar in the fermentation, haven't decided yet.

Back