IPA/Weiss Hybrid

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Last christmas (before I started homebrewing) I was in NYC and took the opportunity to visit the Brookyln Brewery. At the bar they had a limited edition, draft only beer that I believe they called "hoppleweizen". It had the color, yeast haze, and mild malt character of a heffeweizen but had the hop zest of a good IPA and the punch to boot (if my memory serves it was in the 6-7% ABV range).

Long story short: It was one of the more unique and tasty beers I have experienced, and I would love to give it a go. Has anyone here brewed something similar?

Thanks!

It's their Hopfenweissen. I had a bottle this summer, along side the Schneider version of the same beer (they designed it together). My impression was that initially all the hoppy goodness made it taste like an IPA and then it switched over and finished like a wheat beer. It confused my poor little taste buds. I really wanted it to finish like an IPA. What I'd do is take the grain bill for a standard wheat beer and scale it up to get the higher OG need to get the alcohol level up. Then I'd take the hop schedule for your favorite IPA and use that. Use a wheat beer yeast.

Im finally sippn on my Hella, a "NorCal Wheat IPA". Theres a few things you can do. I used 40% wheat with East Kent and Magnum for bittering, Hallertau for flavor, and Cascade for aroma. A mix for sure but I guarantee it worked. I fermented 5 gal with Cal Ale, and the other 5 with Hef yeast. I prefer the Cal, but thats just me.

Back