First Bottling Experience

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

shamukaiser

Reaction score
I'm ready to bottle and I add only 5oz of Priming suger instead of 6oz, oops... will that make a difference? This was supposed to be for 5 gallons.. but in the end it was like 4.25-4.5...

I also had some air get into some of the bottles... when the spigot in the bucket was above the liquid level..D'ogh!

any thoughts on either?

Thanks

Shamu

Don't worry, it will be fine. You used an ounce less priming sugar therefore the beer will have a little less carbonation than regular batches, which is not a bad thing. I actually like a little lower carbonation, seems to make the beer smoother and you can drink more! As for getting some oxygen in there, you should be ok, just be careful next time, especially if its a brew you plan to age for a long time.

5 oz for 4.5 gallons of beer is plenty of sugar for carbing

as for your aeration question...are you trying to just pour from the spigot into the bottles??
cuz you really need some tubing and a bottling wand to bottle proper. if you just 'poured' from the spigot, you aerated the beer a lot.

I'm not sure I understand your bottling method though.

thanks....

as for the bottling method, i used a bottling "wand" attached to 5/16th tube, attached to bucket spigot.... but when i tilted the bucket, that when i picked up some are...

anyhoot, thanks for the reples....

cheers

Shamu

Back