how to use 48 qt rectangular victory cooler

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kappclark

Reaction score
Lots of talk abt cylinder coolers, but wondering if I can use a 48 qy rectangular cooler for 5 gallon batches ... I think someone mentioned that the grain bed wld be too shallow...

comments ?

I have a 48qt rectangular and I do both batch and fly sparging. I did find that I can't fly sparge on grain bills that are < 5KG because of the grain bed issue you mentioned. More often then not I batch sparge anyway.

There are a couple images in my gallery that show my lauter manifold and sparge manifold.

I use a 50 quart rectangle, batch sparge and SS braid for 5-gallon batches and I have no problems other than my heat loss is sometimes on the higher side. 48 qt should be just fine:mug:

OK- GREAT news ...

here is a question - can I use the same parts from FlyGuy's conversion for this cooler ?

It is a 48 qt Rubbermaid Victory cooler ... only diff is shape.

Thanks!

I used roughly the same parts. Started with that list, had to make one more trip back to HD to return a few pieces.

kappclark said:
Lots of talk abt cylinder coolers, but wondering if I can use a 48 qy rectangular cooler for 5 gallon batches ... I think someone mentioned that the grain bed wld be too shallow...

comments ?

I use a 82qt rectangular cooler. Works just fine for 5 gallons, even better for 10 :D

If you are concerned about the lack of grain bed depth, just tilt the cooler so it favors your manifold / screen / stainless braid. Reduces surface area a bit so may hold heat better.
rick

kappclark said:
OK- GREAT news ...

here is a question - can I use the same parts from FlyGuy's conversion for this cooler ?

It is a 48 qt Rubbermaid Victory cooler ... only diff is shape.

Thanks!

Just built one last week. I used a cheapy Coleman rectangular cooler. Wal-Mart was blowing them out at $9.97. I used exactly what FlyGuy had listed except I needed one more washer on the outside. Was going to head back to Home Depot when I noticed a little white plastic/foam washer on my DVD-R spindle. I used that first on the outside and it fit perfectly and I think sealed it better. YMMV.

Get the cheapest one you can. The expensive ones have a countersunk little gully for the drain that I think (never actually tried it) might make it hard to fit in the bulkhead parts.

Rudeboy

Back