keg to bottle transfer= different color?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

zodiak3000

Reaction score
ive noticed the last 2 batches that ive done keg to bottle transfers the color of my beer had changed. id say by maybe a whole srm point. i had a IIPA in bottles for 4 months that was golden orange that turned almost a shady amber. flavor components changed to be more carmel (i assume from the hops dying out w/ age). anybody else notice this or have an explanation?

Age can have a pretty big impact on a beer -- flavor, aroma, appearance... the whole shebang, really. Everything you described is just a function of time. There's no hard and fast rule to everything age-related, but basically everything mellows out and things begin to lose their vibrant edges. Sort of like a dull knife.

Age can have a pretty big impact on a beer -- flavor, aroma, appearance... the whole shebang, really. Everything you described is just a function of time. There's no hard and fast rule to everything age-related, but basically everything mellows out and things begin to lose their vibrant edges. Sort of like a dull knife.

i agree with the aging concept. though, last night i decided to pour a pint from draft and then crack a bottle of the same beer that i transfered from the keg about 6 weeks ago. the bottle beer was slightly darker in color than the draft. lets say 6.3 srm vs. 6.7. the body of the bottle beer was also more "full" as the draft seemed lighter or watery. this is an interesting concept and i have no idea why there would be a difference....

Generally, most of my beers have become slightly darker as they become clearer with age. Hence them looking lighter when they go into the keg as opposed to when they come out of the keg. In that time, basically crash cooling and lagering the whole time, alot of particles and yeast will drop out of suspension and made the beer clearer. Little white/tan yeasties will drop out of suspension and make it appear darker/clearer.

Take into effect the fact that maybe your glass might be thicker or thinner and reflect light a little different. So your bottle might look lighter or darker when you pour into a glass.

Another thing I just thought of but dont know what the outcome would be is age vs. level of hop isomerization. Basically as hops are exposed to light/heat the hops will isomerize at different rates. Maybe something with the chemical compound/make up of the molecular chain of the hop oil may alter light refraction slightly different, IDK maybe, just an idea

Back