rebottling beer in smaller bottle for competition

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jpoder

Reaction score
so, I'd like to enter one of my beers in a competition, but I realize I only have 1 12 oz bottle left (should have been more conscious giving so many away around the holidays!)! I need two bottles 10-16 oz to enter. I have a few 22oz and a few 750 ml left. so, can I rebottle one of the bigger bottles into a 12 oz? How do I best go about doing this? I would think I could chill a big bottle down close to freezing and sanitize an empty and freeze it and siphon one to the other and cap. Any flaws in this genius plan?

since it will only be about 10 days from submission to judging I wouldn't think oxidation would be a big deal. I guess carbonation level is the only big concern.

thoughts?

I think you've got it.

You'll likely loose some carbonation during the xfer but believe you'll be fine.

Bottle an extra or two and try it before sending.

You could use a Carbonator, slightly overcarb, then transfer...just a thought but that would mean you HAVE a Carbonator and you'd have to xfer twice...once to a PET bottle and then to your competition bottles.

Drink this beer, and enter another competition when you have enough beers.

When you enter a contest, you want to be entering the beer in the best state possible. There's really no easy way to move beer from one bottle to another that wouldn't perhaps risk oxydation.

There will be other contests, and other beers to enter. And if you want to enter this recipe, then brew it again in time for the next contest.

And in the future, for every batch you bottle, bottle at least a sixer in plain, unmarked 12 ouncers, and set it aside, JUST for contests. that way come contest time you will have bottles that you can enter, without having to worry about stuff like this.

We get threads like this all the time, and I don't get why folks would even consider messing with something like this....The point of a contest is to enter your beer in it's best condition possible. Not to do something that could oxydize or infect your beer, just in the hopes that it will turn out "ok."

The point of entering contests is to be judged by experts and experts can and will pick up any flaws in your beer.

So really, you don't want to do something that could render your beer in less than stellar or pristine conditions.

There are a million contests, and most of them are on an annual basis...this won't be the only contest, nor will it be the only batch of beer you make...

It's funny. this is the only hobby I have come across where people would try something like this before submitting their heart and soul to a panel of judges.......I mean you don't hear a painter say, "I want to enter my canvas in a contest, the rules say it can be no bigger than 8 x 10, mine's 9 x 12, so I guess I need to get out an exacto blade and cut my painting down to size." Or in your case, I need to paintings, and I have only one, so I'm just gonna cut it in half.

Talk about cutting corners. ;)

If it ain't gonna be perfect, then don't bother......Don't try to compromise...you would be surprised at what the judges can pick up on.

There will be plenty more in your brewing career. :mug:

you'll also be surprised at how many contests you enter where the judges don't seem to be able to pick a budweiser from DarkLord. Lots of contest horror stories around here :D

Drink this beer, and enter another competition when you have enough beers.

You know, that's basically what I decided after I posted this question. I'm not at all into competitions, so I don't know why I was feeling any urge to enter this one. It *is* occasionally nice to get some blind, honest feedback, but why would I want feedback on something I knew had (potentially) some serious problems due to something other than my recipe and process. I really wouldn't be getting anything out of it.

I'll just do some personal "judging" on my remaining bottles from this batch...

Cheers everyone!

Back