Tech rot rant!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

david_42

Reaction score
Once again it was time to replace my monitor. Knowing a new monitor would probably require a new video card, I carefully selected a card to work with the new screen. Little did I know, the video card requires a PCIe slot. Nowhere on the seller's page was there any mention of slot requirements. I went back and checked. PCIe is not compatable with PCI. No PCIe slot on my motherboard. New monitor does NOT like analog 1280x1024 mode and keeps trying to change to DVI 1600x1050! Really bites, as the screen is just one big blur.

After 35 years of working with computers, you would think I'd be used to getting blind-sided.

I ordered a $1900CDN video card for one of our engineering CAD designers a couple months ago without checking the slot type in the computer. After I opened the case to install the card but BEFORE I opened the package I noticed the lack of a PCIXpress slot on the board. *whew* Just about covers it. :D

Back