Du you reuse unwashed yeast?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Do you reuse yeast without washing?

• I never reuse yeast

• I only reuse washed yeast

• Sometimes I rack on a cake, but never store it.

• I store unwashed yeast in a fridge and reuse it regulary.

Results are only viewable after voting.

Scooby_Brew

Reaction score
So how many of you reuse unwashed yeast?
I do it all the time. Sometimes I rack straight on a yeast cake. Other times after raking off to a keg I store the slurry into 2 jars. Later on I use one of those jars instead of a starter on a brew day. This is my favorite method. The jars with yeast can sit in a fridge a month or longer. I reuse the yeast up to 5-6 generations or so and then start all over. So far no problems at all.
How about you? Should I be worried about autolysis?

Do it all the time. In fact I plan my brews with pitching slurries in mind. Just did a string of 4 lagers with slurries. Have a Pale Ale going right now that's a slurry donor for a big DIPA. Great way to save $ and get fast fermentation starts. All it takes is a half to full pint of fresh thick slurry depending on the OG. Mason jars work great for this. Just be sure to sanitize (starsan soak) them first. Cheers!!!

I do both...

I save two mason jars of slurry. One jar I will not wash and use for a same style batch.

The other jar I do wash and use for batches where I do not want flavors from the previous possibly adding to the new batch.

I do it for my lager yeast. I am brewing end on end batches so really it only stays in the fridge for about a day. I sort of half wash it. I swirl the yeast from the last back, add a bit of water and store it in the fridge. The next day I brew with it using most of the liquid, and leaving a bit of the trub behind.

I also do the same for my ale yeast. But since I do not brew ales most of the time I have the time to properly wash the yeast. I let that sit in the fridge for months.

You really shouldnt rack onto a whole yeast cake unless its a much bigger beer. There are downsides to overpitching yeast. Its not going to make a horrible beer, just like underpitching, but it will not taste the best it could.

I actually take a different route

I make a 200ml starter then decant of 1000ml into 2 jars and seal them. Then pitch the rest

The other 2 are there to ramp up again at a later date.

I used to with liquid yeast. Now that I pretty much use dry use it's not really worth the time and effort to re-use yeast. AS dry yeast is so much cheaper then the liquid.

I keep slurry from most batches, excepting very high gravity beers. I try to use the slurry in progressively higher gravity beers, but have had success ignoring that rule as well. I'll pitch a monster beer onto a cake if available. For instance, the 1.09x DIPA goes on top of a cake leftover from a mid-gravity APA, and my next brew, likely taking place on Saturday, (a barleywine - shooting for 1.1x) will be going on a cake from a brown porter that's ready to transfer. With something huge like the barleywine or DIPA, I'd rather overpitch a bit than underpitch. Otherwise I just pitch a mason jar of slurry with most of the liquid decanted off and let it ride.

Interesting topic as I was just wondering this myself last night. I have pitched onto a yeast cake a couple of times with good results. As someone else said, you should make sure that the next beer is much larger. However, it has been said that pitching onto a cake can be a bad practice because of dead yeast cells, break material, over pitching rates (which suppress flavor development). I have also rinsed yeast using water with good success. I am going to rack some yeast from a cake into mason jars and make starters with them. While racking onto a yeast cake is easy, it is sloppy brewing practice in my opinion. As a brewer I want to have the most control over my process from start to finish. Why settle for good beer, when you can make great beer? I would much rather build appropriate starters using slurry from a cake than rack on top of one.

I like to use the yeast from the secondary, it isn't washed but there sure is alot less trub with it.

I like to use the yeast from the secondary, it isn't washed but there sure is alot less trub with it.

Have you done this over multiple generations off the first original pitch? "Conventional wisdom" says you're getting the less flocculent yeast out of secondary - would you say that you find your yeast flocculating at a lower rate as time goes on, or is this another case of "conventional wisdom" being bs?

I have found no advantage in yeast rinsing. I like to rack, scoop and pitch in a clean fermenter. I will dump a cake in a jar for later. I really like to top-crop. I never dump on a cake. I've went 10 generations with lagers because I hate gallon starters.

Depends on the beer with me. Today I did a quick wash off of a big Belgian that went from 1.098 to 1.012 in a week in which some of the yeast will be re-pitched at bottling. Most of the time I don't bother, but the Belgians I usually do.

I top crop an active fermentation and put it in a sterilized mason jar. I leave it covered on the counter overnight so it finishes fermenting, then stick it in the fridge until I'm ready to use it.

I make sure to get enough so that I don't need to make a starter when I'm ready to use it. I just take it out of the fridge, let it warm up, and dump it in to fresh wort.

I have once and it worked great. I just have this weird feeling about a yeast cake sitting in the bottom of an empty fermenter all alone at cellar temps.

I have re-used my yeast from day one as I bought a conical on ebay to get started. I sterilize a mason jar and put an airlock on it and into the fridge. I drop the trub from the bottom usually on the second day after primary fermenting is done.
I am always concerned about off flavors and yeast straining so I am trying to learn more.

I take about a pint from the cake (for lagers) and use it for the next batch. For me its quicker and easier than making a starter (but I do make a starter for the initial batch) or washing. It does take a little planning and coordination to have the timing right and to move up in OG.

wetzie

How much of the trub do you keep? I brew with a group and we use a 40 gal. conical so there is a significant amount that drops out after primary fermentation. I would like to experiment with re-using but i am still trying to learn the details.

I used to with liquid yeast. Now that I pretty much use dry use it's not really worth the time and effort to re-use yeast. AS dry yeast is so much cheaper then the liquid.

Same here. I use Nottingham or US-05 in most of my beers. Washing those isn't worth the time considering the price for a new packet of yeast. It seems like a lot of work just to save a couple of bucks.

I wash yeast I intend to keep for a while but I do pitch on whole cakes from time to time.

I guess I don't see a reason to wash the yeast if you plan on using it fairly soon but sometimes yeast stays in my fridge for several months and I need to be able to tell when it starts autolyzing so I can get the yeast into something new to keep the strain alive.

Back