bag subsitute?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

LIONS_FAN2539

Reaction score
lhb is a distance and when getting supplies forgot to pick up the bags (musling?)
to drop my crystal and hops during boil. are these sold commonly as something else or can i use some other material?

if you can get to a local hardware store or big retail store you can pick up some cheese cloth this works just as well!

Good luck!

panty hose? ive used them in several other repair or maintain apllication(pool )
are you serious?

Or knee-hi's. Don't pack them & they work fine. They are better for specialty grains than brewing bags, since the mesh is finer. They will melt, so keep them off the bottom of the kettle.

I use a bag for steeping grains, but not for hops. A lot of people don't use bags at all, but just siphon the wort off the top and leave the hops and grain in the bottom. People who use bags for the grain, but not the hops just leave the hops in. It will settle into the trub during fermatation.

a trip to your local homedepot or lowes and pick up paint strainer bags. they come in several sizes.

and your hop utilization won't suffer from bagging them. if you're really worried drom in a nother couple cones or pellets - but you'll never be able to tell

home depot 2 blocks away. purchased chesse cloth and paint stainers. gonna try both today. gots bottlin to due, then a transfer to secondary which will put brew time right around happy hour! thanks for some great suggestions.

Didn't see this thread first... Check my thread in the technique section... I used my sock... it works fine, i thought it might be too thick but it worked just like the regular old grain bags...

gettin ready to brew and am really liking the 1 gallon paint strainers. 2bags for
.98. should work great

boil went well with hop pellets in 1 gallon paint strainers from home depot. made notes and in aout 3-4 weeks, if its a better way to deliver the hops i will use them all the time. thanks BREWHEAD!

if you really want to get fancy - build you one of these:

hop_bag%20003.jpg

Back