what's wrong here?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

lpdb185

Reaction score
i ordered a recipe kit for a La Chouffe clone and just got it today. i began entering it in Beersmith and the OG numbers are way off. here's the ingredients:

GRAIN
8lb belgian pale ale malt
.5lb crystal 20L malt
.5lb flaked barley
.25lb aromatic malt

SUGARS
2lb honey
1lb clear candi sugar

HOPS
1.5oz styrian golding @ 60min
1oz hallertau @ 15min
2g seeds of paradise + .25oz coriander @ 5min

and i'll be using some WLP550 that i washed from my last batch.

so, the recipe notes that the OG should be 1.082. after entering the recipe into beersmith, it says that my OG will be 1.068. i have triple checked to make sure i entered everything into beersmith and the only thing i've come up with is that there is no "belgian pale ale malt" in the software; i assumed this was belgian pale malt (2 row). the only other thing i noticed is that i have my "brewhouse efficiency" set at 75%, which is what i was told the recipe is designed around. when i change it to 100%, i get the 1.082OG. am i really supposed to get 100% brewhouse efficiency, or is there something else wrong here?

i'm pretty sure that the last time i entered a recipe with brewhouse efficieny set at 75%, the numbers matched up perfectly.

I'm no expert, but just looking at the fermentables, I don't think you have nearly enough to get to 1.082... 1.068 sounds right.

by playing with the amount of pale malt, it appears i need 10.75lb instead of 8 in order to achieve the 1.082OG. i just wanted to make sure i wasn't overlooking something before i contact them about it.

thanks.

EDIT: i contacted them and they corrected it. there was apparently a typo in the recipe and they are shipping me the rest of the grain.

Back