A quick cider kit question(s)

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mark228

Reaction score
Hi I am thinking of using a cider kit for my second brew, are there any major differences in using a cider kit to a beer or lager extract kit I need to know about? What sort of temperatures will it need (any different to beer/lager) and how long does it take (any longer than the other kits)? Cheers! :drunk:

Mark228 said:
Hi I am thinking of using a cider kit for my second brew, are there any major differences in using a cider kit to a beer or lager extract kit I need to know about? What sort of temperatures will it need (any different to beer/lager) and how long does it take (any longer than the other kits)? Cheers! :drunk:

You should read the instructions and take a look at this forum, but the biggest difference with cider is that it takes A LOT longer to condition. Primary fermentation may not be longer, but it will likely taste like crap for quite awhile. Best to let it age for a couple months (at least) before drinking. If you don't use a secondary, then then it sit in your primary for two weeks.

Otherwise, temps are pretty much the same, go by the type of yeast you use.

Yea, cider does need a fair ol while in the bottles, although when fermentation is done its drinkable :)
but for the fermentation, anything from a few weeks to a month or 2, depending on how dry you want it/the yeast you use.

Back