Ipa #42

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Evan

Reaction score
Recipe Type
All Grain
Yeast
WLP001
Yeast Starter
yes
Batch Size (Gallons)
Original Gravity
Final Gravity
Boiling Time (Minutes)
IBU
Color
Primary Fermentation (# of Days & Temp)
Tasting Notes
(38/50) & (40/50)
This is the first beer i ever entered into a competition (Kentucky State Fair). Its and American IPA and i really loved how it turned out.

Grain:

12 lbs American 2-row 1.5L
2.5 lbs Vienna 3.5L
0.5 lbs CaraPils 2L
0.5 lbs Crystal 20L
0.5 lbs Crystal 60L

Hops:

1.25 oz Magnum 14% @ 60 min.
0.5 oz Amarillo 8% @ 20 min.
0.5 oz Centennial 9.7% @ 20 min.
0.5 oz Simcoe 12% @ 10 min.
1.0 oz Amarillo 8% @ 10 min.
0.5 oz Centennial 9.7% @ 5 min.
0.5 oz Simcoe 12% @ 5 min.
1.0 oz Amarillo 8% @ 1 min.
2.5 oz Cascade Dry Hop

Mash @ 154 for 60 minutes
Boil 75 minutes, start adding hops at 60 minutes left.

This beer turned out really well. I use Tinseth for IBU's (70 IBU's), i think if you use Rager its something like 90 IBU's but it doenst seem like it. this is a big American IPA that probably cuts it close to style. if you feel the IBU's are to high, drop the magnum down some. but i wouldn't change a thing.

In the Overall Impression's on my score sheets both mentioned it being very well balanced and BIG, haha.

I hope if you brew it you enjoy it as much as I have. And if you brew it, shoot me a PM or reply here and let me know what you think! i have half a keg left, and i'll be taking some of it to the next LAGERS meeting here in Louisville if it makes it to the 21st of September.

Looks good Evan!
It looks more like an IIPA than a IPA (I know, depends on the interpretation)

I have been doing some research lately in order to design me a BIG IIPA. I bought 4 lbs from Hopsdirect today and am well on my way....

What do you think about throwing a bit of FWH in the mix? Perhaps Amarillo?

-C

EDIT: Is it named IPA 42 because you scored a 42 or because it was entry # 42?

nope, scored 38 and 40 on it. its #42 because it feels like the 42 try at an IPA i've done before i finally had one i liked.

Back