How about this Honey Apricot Ale?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

chode720

Reaction score
I am thinking of brewing this for my next beer for a nice, refreshing summer ale. How does it look? Any recommendations/changes I should make?

Batch Size- 5 Gal
Boil Size- 6 Gal

8.00 lb Pale Malt (2 Row) US (2.0 SRM) Grain 88.89 %
1.00 lb Honey Malt (25.0 SRM) Grain 11.11 %
1.00 oz Hallertauer Mittelfrueh [3.90 %] (60 min) Hops 14.6 IBU
1 tsp Irish Moss (Boil 10.0 min) Misc
1.00 items Oregon Apricot Puree (Secondary 14.0 days) Misc
1 Pkgs Northwest Ale (Wyeast Labs #1332)

Thanks!

Use Strielsselspalt to accentuate the apricot instead of the Hallertauer Mittelfrueh. The honey malt is a little heavy handed, mabe use about 4 oz.

Use Strielsselspalt to accentuate the apricot instead of the Hallertauer Mittelfrueh. The honey malt is a little heavy handed, mabe use about 4 oz.

Thanks for the info. I saw that I could use up to 20% honey malt, but that seemed too high b/c I only want a hint of honey behind the apricot flavor. I'll cut that back.

Whats the benefit of the Strilsselspalt instead of Hallertauer? The descriptions of these 2 hops are pretty similar at my LHBS. I am new to formulating recipes and I tend to have the hardest time picking hops!

I get a hint of apricot from the Striesselspalt when I use them late in the boil or with a dry hop. I see you don't have any late hops. So either would work about the same for bittering.

I was thinking of using Palisades as a finishing hop b/c it imparts an earthy/apricot aroma. I nixed it tho b/c I thought it would be too much with the honey & apricot. Maybe I will add it back and see what it does.....

Back