Funny BMC & now Y people...

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

maffewl

Reaction score
So I was on the road home from out of town today and stopped by a Red Robin to grab a bite on the way. There was one seat at the bar, so I took it, in-between a couple and a group of guys hitting on girls. So I look at the tap, and noticed they have both Fat Tire and SA Noble Pils (which I have three in the fridge as I type)... I decided to go with the Fat Tire because it's been a while since I've had one and I have SA at home. Anyhow, a few min. later, one of the guys beside me said, let me try some of that Sam Adams to the bartender. She poured him a shot of it... and he made the funniest looking face I have seen in a while. He said "That is nasty... it has some kinda funky aftertaste." And after-wards, followed with the token man comment, told his buddy, here you try it. He took a sip and was like "Yeah man, that sucks!"... then one of the girls tried it and said... "It's like bitter-sour, maybe it's gone bad." Then... one at a time, they each ordered a Yuengling off tap. I started thinking, I like Yuengling, but I have noticed that it is starting to become a member of the BMC crew. But thanks to this forum and the joys of homebrewing I can say that I now see the appreciation for good beer. :mug:

I assume by "Yuengling" you mean their lager. It's a notch above BMC in my opinion but that may be my local bias. Just a notch though.
I do confess to liking their Lord Chesterfield Ale. Nice summer beer.

Your buddies at the bar are why AB spills more beer in an hour than all of us put together make in a year. They probably think Keystone Light is top shelf stuff.

Hoppus_Poppatopolis said:
I assume by "Yuengling" you mean their lager. It's a notch above BMC in my opinion but that may be my local bias. Just a notch though.
I do confess to liking their Lord Chesterfield Ale. Nice summer beer.

Your buddies at the bar are why AB spills more beer in an hour than all of us put together make in a year. They probably think Keystone Light is top shelf stuff.

Agree completely.

Craft beer>Sam Adams>yuengling>bmc

yeah. i'd say yuengling is def better than bmc. but i wouldn't call it craft beer. i never got it because i didn't like it in bottles. but i had one on tap somewhere that it was the only non bmc, and and it was much better i thought. not great, but better. could the green bottles be causing the difference? thats the only thing i can think of.

Ya, Yuengling ranks right up there with Rolling Rock.

I have to be real thirsty and someone else has to be buying. :D
Dunno where you are getting yours but have them clean their serving lines. Yuengling is decent beer. The Traditional Lager, the amber colored version, is a slightly corn-sweet lager that is closer to a Classic American Pilsner than a modern macrobew. It is head and shoulders above anything that BMC produces.

Yuengling Premium is closer to BMC macrobrews but has taken a back seat to the Traditional Lager since the it was introduced in 1987. The Traditional Lager has the widest distribution. There is also Lord Chesterfield Ale and a porter that is pretty dang good.

I have noticed that here on the east coast and in the southeast, Yuengling tends to be the beer offered when the venue, usually a BMC-heavy bar or a catering venue, wants to offer a "premium" beer, but that doesn't make it bad. It's got some body, a little corn sweetness and enough hop backbone to balance the malt. I think it is a great gateway beer. It is an excellent way to get folks away from InBev/SABMiller products and moving toward craft beers.

It is an excellent way to get folks away from InBev/SABMiller products and moving toward craft beers.

Couldn't agree more with that. My parents used to drink it, and when I would sneek one I was like hmm that tastes pretty good, a lot different than the stuff my friends get. Its an easier beer to drink, and is a great choice when you are very thirsty:tank: I would be very dissapointed if people started writing it off just because it is very popular and accepted by BMC drinkers. Its not my favorite beer, but it is pretty good and is probably my number 2 favorite american lager.

I'm not a fan of SA Noble Pils. It's about the worst pilsner I have ever tasted.

I know the cure... grab a Yuengling. Lol... I kid, I kid. Seriously though, my post was more to get a laugh out of the bar kids than to bash Yuengling. I actually made the comment that I like Yuengling, just thought the reactions to SANP of those beside me was humorous. I'm a beer drinker, and sometimes, I even drink the Beast on occasion. So believe me, I'm not here to beer bash, just thought everyone would enjoy hearing the story. And at the same time, I did find it somewhat funny that BMC drinkers are now considering Y for initiation.

Go to any bar in the area and ask for a lager, you will get yuengling by default. As popular, if not more popular than bmc in my neck of the woods

Dunno where you are getting yours but have them clean their serving lines. Yuengling is decent beer. .

Quaker Steak & Lube in Pittsburgh/Robinson Center. It's OK, but I would rather drink Sierra Nevada Pale Ale or SA Boston Lager from a bottle. It's just personal taste.

I'm spoiled here in Austin with beer bars with 30 to 57 craft beers on tap (no BMCs) :D

I still treat Yuengling with reverence as America's oldest brewery. From that perspective it ranks right up there with Germany's oldest brewery, Weihenstephan from 1040.

I just hope I am still around in 29 years to make the trip to Friesing, Germany for their 1,000 year anniversary.

If you think SANP is the worst pils you've ever had you haven't tried Bitburger Pils. I thought I needed to scrape something off of my tongue. Something like pureed road kill and fresh cowpie. I actually like SANP, but I'm not a hophead. I like hops aroma and taste, but less bittering.

I still treat Yuengling with reverence as America's oldest brewery. From that perspective it ranks right up there with Germany's oldest brewery, Weihenstephan from 1040.
Not to take anything away from Yuengling, as they are 'america's oldest brewery', but the only reason they can claim that is because they maintain their first building for tours and (i believe) tastings. 99.9% of their production is done elsewhere with a newer brewery.

...Just a fun fact :mug:

If you think SANP is the worst pils you've ever had you haven't tried Bitburger Pils. I thought I needed to scrape something off of my tongue. Something like pureed road kill and fresh cowpie. I actually like SANP, but I'm not a hophead. I like hops aroma and taste, but less bittering.

Haha, I think SA Noble Pils is one of the worst beers I've ever tasted from SA. Like chewing on hops. I was very disapointed because I've liked all thier beers.

I forgot about Bitburger. Friend of mine brought a mini keg of bit to a party years ago, of course we drank it all, but we agreed it was some of the worst beer ever.

Yuengling is like the god of beers for people who drink BMC, everyone I know that drinks BMC goes crazy for it and hypes it up because you can't get it in Ohio. I try to explain to them that you can get way better beer right here in Ohio, it's pretty funny none the less

If it was another beer I'd probably care, but I've had a few SA beers that were bad. It was probably their underdeveloped palate, but it could have just as well been a brew or dirty beer line/tap.

Not to take anything away from Yuengling, as they are 'america's oldest brewery', but the only reason they can claim that is because they maintain their first building for tours and (i believe) tastings. 99.9% of their production is done elsewhere with a newer brewery.

yeah. but wouldn't it still be the oldest brewing company? that would mean about the same to me, even if they aren't in the same building. though pretty cool if it was still in the same building

(i don't know this, its just what i thought they meant)

I forgot about Bitburger. Friend of mine brought a mini keg of bit to a party years ago, of course we drank it all, but we agreed it was some of the worst beer ever.

Aw, c'mon now. Bitte ein Bit!

bitburger_tablett_wm_presse.jpg

As German Pils goes, it's not that bad. :cross: It must not travel well.

I am stationed overseas, and our base "beer caves" rarely have good beer.... The main reason I got into homebrewing. Once, maybe twice a year we get a shipment of y in. Stuff flies off the shelves in less than a day.... New Castle takes about 6 days. I have drank many yeunling, never got the hype. Thought I was a beer snob until I remembered I still love budweiser cans when playing the links ;)

I've been on the tour at Yuengling. The old buildings are pretty cool, especially the caves originally used for cold storage. The day I went, it was almost 100° out, but the caves were in the 50's.
They purchased a large facility in FL (tampa), which makes them available from PA to FL.
I buy the lager for those that don't like homebrew.
Their ale, black and tan are also good. Also had a limited release bock a few years back that was good.

Aw, c'mon now. Bitte ein Bit!

bitburger_tablett_wm_presse.jpg

As German Pils goes, it's not that bad. :cross: It must not travel well.

We can get the Bitburger Pils in tall can 4-packs at Giant Eagle here. I think it's good. Oh,& by the way,many on beeradvocate say DO NOT BUY IT IN BOTTLES! It tastes like...you don't wanna know. The tall cans are actually better. Reminded me of a home brew done well. Just gotta get it fresher in the right container,I guess.

We can get the Bitburger Pils in tall can 4-packs at Giant Eagle here. I think it's good. Oh,& by the way,many on beeradvocate say DO NOT BUY IT IN BOTTLES! It tastes like...you don't wanna know. The tall cans are actually better. Reminded me of a home brew done well. Just gotta get it fresher in the right container,I guess.

Sounds pretty high maintenance... right down my alley. If it was a woman, I probably dated it.

Noble Pils I have found to be a really good gateway beer for BMC people. Guess these guys are beyond saving haha

I've never tried Yuengling. SA Nobil Pils was just alright for me. But its still leaps and bounds better than any BMC and day of the week.

I too had to roll my eyes & chuckle at the OP's story. How typical a response. It's rather amusing for us,after learning better,to look at them react to something that's actually good. Kinda makes you hope you're there when the lil grain of wheat bulb in their brain goes off!:tank:

I like the Nobel Pils. It's not my default style of beer, but pretty good for a light beer. Never had a Y. Never even seen one!

I just have to laugh at all of the "Manly Men" that won't drink anything but colored fizzy water around here. "Tastes like Horse Pi55!"

Whatever, pu55y. Go back to your pitcher of Coors light, tough guy.

We have one down in Tampa. Makes for some fresh beer since it moves a pretty good pace down here with all of the N. East transplants.

Good beer is an acquired taste. Only the most elite of taste buds can appreciate.

it's funny how it works in the beer world like that. It's not like food where you may start out with a skirt steak and think that is crappy, give me the prime rib eye please. Somehow these people are happy with the crappy level.

Kinda like thinking burger king is better than brown derby. Boy,do I miss that place. Used to be right across from Hopkins airport. I'd just like to be there when they get tired of BCB's & want something more. Then that "sour/bitter" stuff will be more complex,etc. Or they start home brewing...

Good beer is an acquired taste. Only the most elite of taste buds can appreciate.

Yuengling is like the god of beers for people who drink BMC, everyone I know that drinks BMC goes crazy for it and hypes it up because you can't get it in Ohio. I try to explain to them that you can get way better beer right here in Ohio, it's pretty funny none the less

Noble Pils I have found to be a really good gateway beer for BMC people. Guess these guys are beyond saving haha

I too had to roll my eyes & chuckle at the OP's story. How typical a response. It's rather amusing for us,after learning better,to look at them react to something that's actually good. Kinda makes you hope you're there when the lil grain of wheat bulb in their brain goes off!:tank:

I agree it's fun to make fun of BMC, but comments like these make me cringe. Who cares if they drink BMC or Y? If they like it that's great, let them drink what they like.

You need to get it out of your heads that just because you drink craft beer makes you elite. BMC and Y are good beers. Just because you don't like them (or can't make them) doesn't mean that people who do like them are inferior.

I agree it's fun to make fun of BMC, but comments like these make me cringe. Who cares if they drink BMC or Y? If they like it that's great, let them drink what they like.

You need to get it out of your heads that just because you drink craft beer makes you elite. BMC and Y are good beers. Just because you don't like them (or can't make them) doesn't mean that people who do like them are inferior.

Yeah,I'm sure we all understand that. I'm not a beer snob or anything myself. I drank that stuff since I was quite young. Hell,I was literally cuttin teeth on grandma's sour mash,keg charred moon.
But it's just amusing that they hate it now,but as they get some years (or knowledge) under their belt,they change their minds.

Yeah,I'm sure we all understand that. I'm not a beer snob or anything myself. I drank that stuff since I was quite young. Hell,I was literally cuttin teeth on grandma's sour mash,keg charred moon.
But it's just amusing that they hate it now,but as they get some years (or knowledge) under their belt,they change their minds.

some won't I cannot find a beer that my FIL likes besides coors light or keystone light, basically it has to have the word light in it.

Hmmmm...how about convincing her that light really means "pale"? Might sneak one in that way,with the right malt/hop balance.

Hmmmm...how about convincing her that light really means "pale"? Might sneak one in that way,with the right malt/hop balance.

I made the most BMCish beer I could, a kolsch and still wasn't enough. I have given up hope with him. I currently have a german lager going and the first thing my friends asked me was oh is that for your FIL, and to that I say this is way too bitter and it is really

Back