Slushy yeast in smack pack

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

shertz

Reaction score
So I ordered my ingredients from Midwest last week when it was 40 degrees. Little did I know that this freeze was on the way for this week. So I receive my ingredients today and take the yeast (Wyeast 1214 Smack Pack) out of the box and it's slushy inside....not frozen, but slushy. So I smack the pack and let it at room temp. So my question, if it does expand, does this mean I can make my normal sized starter(2L) or should I make a smaller starter and step it up? I'm making Jamil's Belgian Blond that calls for 81% AA that calls for a 1.5L starter. I'm just afraid it won't get the attenuation like I need if some cells died.

Also, when ordering yeast during the winter, do you do anything differently when ordering(not sure what they could do really?) or use dry yeast. I could see this being a regular problem this winter. Guess the 50 mile roundtrip to LHBS will be in order. Thanks for the help.

Hmm. Go ahead and smack the pack. Let that sit for a while and then make a starter. Making a starter is really the only way to see if the yeast is still viable. Sometimes the packs don't swell, so don't use that as a guide. Also, you might want to get some Nottingham on order in case your yeast is dead. I always keep some dry yeast on hand just in case.

I'm betting the starter will revive it. As for shipping yeast in winter...I don't really have a solution.

I have this same concern, I placed an order with Midwest that should be here tomorrow and it is currently -16F everywhere between here and St Paul. If it is frozen solid should I just throw it out and not even bother with a starter or should I let it thaw gently in the fridge and then smack it?

I hate to look like a ****** by replying to my own post, but for anyone else wondering this is what Wyeast says:
Wyeast said:
Thaw out in fridge. Activate and assess the time that it takes to swell. If there is no activation within 24 hrs, do not use. If there is activation, make a starter to revive culture.
I guess I will just wait and see how they arrive and try out what they say.

Your best bet would be to make a starter. I've revived old yeast from a smack pack. The pack never swelled, but the starter kicked off in about 12 hours.

Follow-up...I smacked my pack yesterday and I have some swelling, about 1/2 the normal size. I would imagine some are alive and some dead. I'm a little concerned if the dead yeast will give off some off flavors if they are revived. However, I think I'll make a starter tonight and still run to the LHBS and grab a vial and add it, just to be safe. If I wasn't looking for 81%AA I would probably see what the starter does, but I really want a dry finish. I won't be getting yeast in the mail again this winter...maybe it's time to start re-using!!

Back