I think it may be an infection. Anything I can do?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Berserker

Reaction score
Ok so I made myself a nice strong stout that I was really looking forward to but now I don't even know if I should waste time bottling it. This is my third batch and since I added the extra DME to up the ABV I let it sit in the primary for a good 6-7 weeks. When I opened it, it looked good and I even used my "thief" for to get the FG and took a taste. It was pretty good for being flat. I then moved it to my secondary where its been for about 5 weeks. I really wanted to let this one sit. I sanitzed the secondary, but it seems I got an infection. I don't have a picture but I see a light white film across the top with small little balls of white (4-5) across the top. Is this an infection? And if so is there anything I can do to save it. I thought by waiting as long as I did in the primary I would have really reduced the chances of an infection. Please help.

As the alcohol increases in the beer the chances of a bacterial infection become less likely because the bacteria have trouble surviving in such an environment. Not to mention the acetic acid that is also produced along with the alcohol. This is not to say bacterial infections are impossible, but it sounds like you have some mold. I would definitely go ahead and bottle it. For the price of the 53 caps you'll use on 5 gallons its worth it to try. If after 2 weeks of carbing it's still not good, just give it more time. Do the "balls of white" look like they could be some newly active yeast?

Back