cleaning a carboy

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

THEDIETZ

Reaction score
what is the best method. I have a ring of sediment near the top I can not get ot. I l et it soak overnight but it still won't come off. Please help

Carboy brush? If you have difficult sediment try soaking with oxyclean and water. I have yet to find something oxyclean will not remove.

Oxyclean and warm water...all the way up to the top...I buy in bulk so I'm not opposed to dumping 3 scoops in....

I've never had anything not be loosened by the bubbles....though a carboy brush on glass (only) is a good thing...there's a high pressure nozzel you can get...but I've been fine with oxyclean.

Do you have a carboy brush? Bend it to 45deg and you will be able to clean it alot better. Fill it like a 1/3 full with soap and hot water and shake the hell out of it. Then get the carboy brush in there.

oxyclean or pbw, soak overnight.

If this is a better bottle (plastic, PET) carboy, do NOT use a carboy brush on it. It will scratch it and give tiny bacteria places to hide.

if it's a yeast or organic material ring, then Oxyclean works great (I put in a scoop, fill with hot water, leave sit for a day in my utility sink).

If it's mineral, I put some barkeeper's friend into the carboy through a funnel, moisten with water, and use my carboy brush to scrub it clean, then rinse, rinse, rinse, rinse, rinse, and rinse. Then I will rinse. And then rinse. Sometimes I'll soap and water, then rinse again. And again. :) I hate mineral stains.

Back