Flaked Corn / Flaked Rice / Torrified Wheat

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mutilated1

Beer Drenched Executioner
Reaction score
This may seem like a stupid question, but if a recipe calls for 2 pounds of Flaked Corn, then does that mean I can go to the grocery and get a box of Kelloggs Corn Flakes from the ceral aisle and use that ?

Also, I've seen some recipes call for Flaked Rice. Have you ever seen the flaked rice baby food cereal ? I was wondering if you could use that ?

And I read somewhere that Torrified Wheat is just wheat that gets heated so that it "puffs up". Is that like "Sugar Smacks" without the sugar ?

I know that sounds like a silly question, but seriously - is that what these ingredients are ? Maybe thats why recipes sometimes call it a cereal mash ?

Corn is one of about 17 ingredients in corn flakes, and it is milled not flaked corn. Actual flaked corn from your LHBS is nothing like corn flakes. The same probably goes for sugar smacks.

As for the flaked rice baby food I have never seen it.

Back