6g secondary carboy, 5g batch

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

pktshc

Reaction score
Okay, so when I purchased my second carboy I failed to notice that it was a 6g instead of my original 5g. I just racked a batch of red ale into the secondary and there is a large amount of head space. I understand that air is the enemy of beer while it is in the secondary and as such you do not want too much head room for the clarifying beer. Will I have an issue if I allow it to continue in the secondary with the extra room at the top?

I hope that ya'll say that it is fine, because I do not really have another choice since my original carboy is currently in use. That, coupled with the blizzard outside, and I am stuck with this current issue.

Thoughts?

Jeff

It's fine. There! I hope that makes you feel better! :D

Actually, it is fine. I mean, it's not technically ideal, but your beer is still outgassing co2, so that will form a blanket over the top of the beer and protect it from oxidation due to the headspace. So, you will be fine!

it'll probably be fine...racking generally causes the yeast to stir and they will release some co2, giving your beer a nice cover.

i would definitely get a 5g for the future.

EDIT: yoopz..being all speedy :p

Sweet...that is exactly what I wanted to hear. I figured I couldn't screw it up too bad, but thought that I better ask anyway.

On the positive side, I tasted a sample and it tastes great... like a flat red ale...so that is good.

Jeff

Back