Fermenter lock and Evaporation

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

todd_k

Reaction score
How much should I consider evaporation when timing the bubbles from the fermentor lock? I have been in the primary for 1 week 8 1/2 hours. Yesterday it bubbled once every 1:12 - 1:15. I moved the bucket to my kitchen which stirred up the trub a bit and also warmed it 2 degrees so the bubbling went back to as fast as once every 38 seconds and now it is once every 51 seconds.
So, over the course of a week, the water level has gone down a bit in the fermentation lock due to natural evaportation. Should I fill it back up or continue to wait until the bubbles are back over a minute apart?

As long as you're still getting bubbles, you've got enough water...there's no need to add any more unless the inner cylinder isn't floating.

Keep it topped up - you don't want to chance it evaporating fully and leaving your beer exposed to air - I use the S bend type airlock

Back