Everyday obsoleted terms...

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Dr Vorlauf said:
You press carriage return at every enter.. Same place and function ..

I teach a distance education course (Plants and People) and I have a range of student ages in the course, anywhere from 20-70 yrs old, mostly in the 25-44 bracket. Assignments are submitted to me as a Word file. Every semester I have several students who put a carraige return (paragraph mark) at the end of EVERY line, just as if they were using an electric typewriter.

Service Station: for the old full-service gas station, where a person who actually spoke English and had a name like Ernie, Merle, Vince or Gus embroidered on his shirt checked your oil, tire pressure and washed your windows while they filled your gas tank.

Does anyone remember Champale?

Boston said:
I still call CDs "ALBUMS"
My kids are, like, WTF?

My kids found my stash of old albums a long time ago. They got a huge kick out of going thru the stack, then I hear one of them say to the other, "Look at the size of these CD's. These things are enourmous!" I laughed so hard my sides hurt, confirming for them that the old man was ready for the looney bin. Too bad I don't have a turntable anymore, I doubt I could ever find a Uriah Heep CD today.

PTN

paulthenurse said:
Oh ok, I guess that makes sense. If anything about driving a truck out onto a lake and drilling holes in the ice makes sense.

It makes perfect sense! But if you have to ask, you wouldn't understand.........

paulthenurse said:
My kids found my stash of old albums a long time ago. They got a huge kick out of going thru the stack, then I hear one of them say to the other, "Look at the size of these CD's. These things are enourmous!" I laughed so hard my sides hurt, confirming for them that the old man was ready for the looney bin. Too bad I don't have a turntable anymore, I doubt I could ever find a Uriah Heep CD today.

PTN

I have several Uriah Heep Cd's and there are turntables that tansfer to MP3.

"Quote rickylr"
I know they are adding it to dictionaries, but normally include that it is considered incorrect usage, an American dialectical form.

Similar to "alot," which is used a lot in writing and I expect will be added to dictionaries at some point soon as incorrect usage. In my mind, sticking it in a dictionary doesn't make it correct usage.

Of course, this is my opinion; the world doesn't have to go along with me.

Words are added to the dictionary all the time. Just "Google" it :D

My TV has knobs still, 2-13 and UHF Of course it's older than I am. There are still lots of vacuum tubes out the too, and not just the ones dad collected, many guitar and bass amps still use them.

How about floppy disk.

Some of this is making be feel a little behind the times.

Bernie Brewer said:
Green Stamps

Berkshire Hathaway has owned "Blue Chip Trading Stamps" for years and years and years. As per Buffett's 2006 letter to shareholders, sales at that particular subsidiary have gone from $126 million in 1970, to $19.4M in 1980, to $1.5M in 1990... and last year clocked in at $25,920. No zeros omitted. :D

He also said, "When I was told that even certain brothels and mortuaries gave stamps to their patrons, I felt I had finally found a sure thing."

i'm old at 34 i guess. i sub at the local high school. one day last week, kids were trying to figure out how to use a floppy disk- how do i put it in, these things have no memory, etc. another day they were talking to each other about cassette tapes in regards to a project about the 1990's- is it the same on both sides, how many songs will it store? my wife teaches at the high school, and she had to give a kid a ride home in her 1996 geo. the kid was amazed that she actually had to use a key to unlock the car door!

personally i still have an atari 2600 with about 100 games, a record player, a hand powered meat grinder, a toaster oven i use more than the microwave, and a 1983 vw rabbit gti with hand cranked windows and power nothing. i may be a freak of nature since i'm one of 10 people in the country who don't own a cellphone. i'm border line 21st century luddite.

there's my obsolete term- luddite. a person who shuns modern conviences and new technology, which break down often and are no better than what was used before the new item came onto the market to replace it.

Back