experiement with WLP002

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ninkasi2012

Reaction score
I brewed 2 brown ales, exactly the same beers and exactly the same yeast (used an WLP002 english ale yeast).

The first beer is in a glass fermenter.

The second beer is in a glass fermenter and put into a bucket filled with water (like a swamp cooler). The temperature of the water is consistently @ 65F with no added ice. Both beers are stored next 2 each other.

The first beer developed a big krausen and activity lasted for 3 days. The krausen after 6 days is still quite big.

The 2nd beer developed a small krausen, but was more active - my blow off tube in sanitizer was bubbling like crazy, more than the first beer. After 29 hours the krausen disappeared.

Anybody have any thoughts on the above observations ? Just curious on why the results have been so different.

I'm curious as to which beer will turn out better.

The only differences are going to come from the differences of the temperature of the fermenting beer. What are those temperatures?

Back