Brown Ale with S-04 yeast...bitter/nutty/nasty! What happened?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Maybe you should get a glass of your beer into the hands of another homebrewer, local brewery, judge or someone. That might help to identify whether this flavor is simply S-04 and it's not for you or something else is going on etc.

i'm a little slower to jump on the s-04 bashwagon. how many ounces EKG did you use? did you use a wort chiller? I have gotten tastes from that hop in young beer similar to what you're describing. It fades pretty quick, though.

I only used 1/2 oz of EKG as my flavoring hop with 15 min left in the boil (11 gallon batch). 1oz of Target for bittering at 75min.

Maybe you should get a glass of your beer into the hands of another homebrewer, local brewery, judge or someone. That might help to identify whether this flavor is simply S-04 and it's not for you or something else is going on etc.

I'm going to pick up some bulk grains from a group buy tomorrow and hope to distribute a few of my beers for comments! :mug:

Let us know what they say at the group buy, Im curious if it's a personal distate for S-04 (which I actually quite love), or if it's something else. Id join you for the tasting but VA is a bit far

:mug:

So, any luck at the group buy? what's the taste say now?

I haven't gotten feedback yet but last night my wife and I each had a bottle of this stuff and it was at least drinkable now. Hopefully after a few more months it will mellow more.

It will be tough for me to use S04 again. Ill use Notty on my next brown ale.

I used S-04 in my last beer, an oatmeal stout (yooper's, actually!) and it turned out awesome. Best beer I've ever made. Fermented at about 66. I liked S-04 so much I decided to use it in a nut brown ale I brewed yesterday. It's fermenting right now at about 63, but I was shooting for about 66 so I gonna let it warm up a bit.
My first beer I had no temp control and I used notty at 72-74 and it was kinda funky/fruity. Ever since, I started controlling fermentation temp and my beers have been tasting much better.

I think my problem may have been in the handling of the yeast.

I made an 11 gallon batch with only one packet of S04 yeast so I made a 2.0 liter starter for the yeast which apparently is not a good idea. That's the only thing I can blame this on if the yeast is not supposed to make these nasty estery tasting beers!

Is it possible that your off flavor could be a result a cleaning agent in your bottles?

No. I have used the same method of cleaning my bottles and equipment for the last 20+ batches, no problem on other recipes.

I soak bottles overnight in Oxiclean (scent free) and then rinse well, drain and heat in the oven at 200F for 30 minutes to sanitize, cool to the touch and then immediately bottle. This works great for me.

Update on the beer: Still pretty awful. I can drink about half a bottle but once it warms up the off taste is pronounced and I dump the rest. :/

i finally started dumping bottles of a failed batch from a year ago when i need empties. that may be the fate of this beer as well

I've used S-04 in several batches with no off flavors, my stout even got up to 74 during it's primary before dropping and it was great. My Irish Blond came out perfectly with S-04. And I also used a starter as I do with everything but my Hefe. The trick is a healthy starter, lots of people use starters with dry yeasts, esp. with bigger beers. I also aerate my wort after cooling to give the yeasts a further chance to grow as needed. They use oxygen in their reproduction phase, what we sometimes call lag phase, although a starter will cut down on lag greatly. My ferments have all been cleaner with a lot of healthy yeasts to do the job from the beginning. After fermentation starts don't introduce oxygen though.

I try not to be in a hurry to drink my beer or have it done in short time. I go at minimum, 2wks prime, 2wks 2nd, 2wks bottle, and condition for 2wks to a month before I expect anything out of my beers. 3 months from grain is even better. Time is your friend.

S-04 is a decent yeast for the right style.... I recently brewed with it for the first time and it has a very slight clove, clean finish... Just use it properly.....

I made two IPA, one with 05 and one with 04. 04 gave a more bread aroma. Both turn out great. 05 leaves a clean taste for the dry hops.

I'll never understand what happened to this batch of beer but I had to dump ever bottle after I got a bottle bomb and they all ended up overcarbed even though they were finished fermenting (FG: 1.011) when I bottled.

I've used S-04 in several batches with no off flavors, my stout even got up to 74 during it's primary before dropping and it was great. My Irish Blond came out perfectly with S-04. And I also used a starter as I do with everything but my Hefe. The trick is a healthy starter, lots of people use starters with dry yeasts, esp. with bigger beers. I also aerate my wort after cooling to give the yeasts a further chance to grow as needed. They use oxygen in their reproduction phase, what we sometimes call lag phase, although a starter will cut down on lag greatly. My ferments have all been cleaner with a lot of healthy yeasts to do the job from the beginning. After fermentation starts don't introduce oxygen though.

I try not to be in a hurry to drink my beer or have it done in short time. I go at minimum, 2wks prime, 2wks 2nd, 2wks bottle, and condition for 2wks to a month before I expect anything out of my beers. 3 months from grain is even better. Time is your friend.

We have the same view on this matter, exactly. , except I don't secondary, I just primary longer.

I'll never understand what happened to this batch of beer but I had to dump ever bottle after I got a bottle bomb and they all ended up overcarbed even though they were finished fermenting (FG: 1.011) when I bottled.

Sounds like an infection.

I have used 04 for nearly every style of english or american ale. My LHBS was out of 05 when I went on a brewing tear earlier this year so I used it a lot. I personally think that the "English Ester/malty profile" that everyone talks about is overstated. I find this yeast to take off quick and drop like a rock, and also be plenty "heat tolerant" (low 70's, no problem). I consider it to be interchangeable with notty and 05 with a very minimal difference. I brewed BM's Centennial Blonde that would surely not be able to hide off flavors with it and fermented at 70-72 degrees. Super clean profile.

I always hydrate it. I never make a starter with 04 or 05.

I used s-04 for my very first AG brew. I did a robust porter at 68, and it come out damn delicious. That's the only time I have used it though, so I don't have a ton of experience with it, but I got the flavors I was wanting at 68 with no issues.

Sounds like an infection.

In hindsight this is the only thing that explains my horrible results.

It was almost a chemical aftertaste that made your mouth pucker! Man that stuff was horrible and all my other beers have come out good or awesome!

Back