BIg Problem...Help pls

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Stalldaworld

Reaction score
so i brewed a batch of Brooklyn brew shops chestnut brow ale, everything went smoothly.. i let it sit for a few weeks then put it into bottles

three weeks later (today) i put a few bottles in the fridge to cool off..
i just opened two of them and they exploded in FOAM! totally undrinkable

what am i doing wrong here??, im so angry lol

pls help

The Co2 gets produced at warm temps and absorbed at cool temps. The Co2 has not been absorbed yet. You need to let it sit in the fridge to allow this to happen.

Don't be angry. Put them in the fridge and let the Co2 absorb into the beer. I'll say at least 3 days, Revvy will tell you to lock it up for a week at least.

Did you check the gravity at all to be sure it was done fermenting?

Sounds like a case of overcarb or bottling before fermentation was complete, but after 3 weeks I'd assume the former.

I just posted this elsewhere today, but this is likely Brooklyn Brew Shop's fault for not including a hydrometer in their kit, and then telling everyone to bottle after two weeks. They also tell you to use 3 TBSP/gallon honey to prime, and perhaps my math is off but when I checked that, it seemed like 2 TBSP would be more appropriate.

In most cases letting it chill for a few days (or more) will stop this. Unless you bottled before fermentation was done, got infection, or over-carbed. Most likely these guys just need some time to chill. It's hard to wait though, isn't it?

I think one of the problems might be your use of upper case vs lower case letters. Makes no seNse to mE. Also reading a little bit about the brewing process might help in sorting out a process that includes an intelligent approach vs a literal one. No offense, Just my thoughts this evening.

Cheers

Disaster averted. Thank god
Had thirty people coming to the house for a beer tasting an I thought all the beers would explode. Lol
I put them in the fridge over night and started drinking at like 9pm next day so a total of about 19 hrs in the fridge. I still had a few explode on me (3). But everythin else went fine. I'm a rookie so I didn't use a hydrometer on my first run (I have one now). So it might not be done fermenting or like u guys said they just might not have absored enough co2 not to explode
Anyway everything went relatively well and more importantly everyone enjoyed the chestnut brown ale which was relieving.

I have a maple brown porter in my carboy now and I used the hydrometer to get my OG and plan on leaving the porter in my primary for about a month before bottling. I hope by leaving it in for the entire month not only will it taste better but it will eliminate as much sludge as possible when I bottle.
Any advice is appreciated

Great to hear! My only issue with Brooklyn Brew Shop is carbonation - I actually just popped open the first bottle of their IPA, and it seems completely carbonated (to my eyes) after two weeks even though I cut my honey back to two tablespoons instead of three (granted, I was a bit under the expected volume, but not by a huge amount.) They do design a tasty brew, though...

If some were that overcarbed you should also pay attention to see if any are undercarbed. It could just be a matter of unequal priming sugar, or whatever carbonation method you used. Assuming you're using corn sugar in boiled water, make sure you add that to the empty bottling bucket and then rack on top of it for most even mixing and least oxidation.

Back