weld-on heating element flange

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

twardnw

Reaction score
I'm building a HLT with an electric element, have been trying to find a stainless flange in 1" NPS to have welded on, but my searches have come up with nothing. Anyone know where I could acquire such a thing?

would that work? I was thinking that with the curve of the keg a plain nut would have too much gap to TIG on

There are 1" couplers at bargain fittings. I have them welded in my kegs. They're pipe vs straight threaded, but the element still threads in and seals. If I were to do it again though, I'd have the standard lock nuts welded on. They can be welded or silver soldered.

Would you go to the locknut because the fitting is NPT and not NPS? or some other reason?

Because of the threads and the compactness. You could always just cut the coupler to whatever length you needed, but why do all that when you get the correct threads at the desired thickness already? I was not aware you could weld the nuts to a keg at the time. That's why I did the coupler. I was also told that the coupler was the same threads. It wasn't until after the welding that I learned they were not.

You might consider this. Look under "weld on tank fittings"

http://www.mcmaster.com/#tank-fittings/=avzavx

The 1" SS version is $30.
This is $9
This (what I bought) is $4.75 He added the note at the bottom based on my emailed response. I was teh first to buy this after being the one to request he sell it. I still speak nothing but great things about Bargainfittings. He offered to refund me, but I already welded them in and they worked after teflon tape so..

Both SS.

Thanks for all the input guys, I think I'll just go the way of the locknut, tell my welder to suck it up, and bring him a sixer when I drop it off :)

This is $9
This (what I bought) is $4.75 He added the note at the bottom based on my emailed response. I was teh first to buy this after being the one to request he sell it. I still speak nothing but great things about Bargainfittings. He offered to refund me, but I already welded them in and they worked after teflon tape so..

Both SS.

Could this be cut in down in length so that the element would thread in all the way? You would be cutting off some of the taper and you would get 2 pieces out of it!

I can get these locally for $8, so it would be much easier.

This is $9

Both SS.

Between the three I'd say the $9.00 nut is the best value unless you have a TIG welder sitting around that you like playing with. You just punch a hole in the side of the brew pot, shove the element in from the outside with gasket in place, thread on the jamb nut & tighten.

If you really want to save some money then just buy the stainless steel nut here for $6.24 with free shipping. Your heating element already has a gasket.
Approved Vendor 1LUL1 Locknut, 1 In, 304 Stainless Steel, 150 PSI

Back