Liquid yeast past date, just add new?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

torque2k

Reaction score
Hey there,

I have been unable to brew for a couple of months, and I had purchased a vial of WLP001 for brewing an amber. The vial is now just past the recommended viable date.

I have a chance to brew tomorrow (actually about 12 hours from now). I picked up another vial of 001 today on my way home from work. I wasn't able to do a starter tonight, though.

Can I just mix the two 001s together? My thinking is, it's gotta be better than just one new vial.

OR, and this may be pushing it, can I mix the old vial with a packet of US-05 I picked up (for just such an emergency)?

Thanks!

Typically they survive well past the date as long as they are refrigerated. Doing a start on the old one should get it back to full strength pretty quickly. And yeah if you bought another one you can just dump them both in... can't hurt.

I know someone who just pitches out of date vials all the time. He says they work fine w/o starter (not that I endorse this). If you decide to go with US-05, you don't really need to bother with the liquid yeast at all. Make a starter out of it and use it for your next brew.

I know someone who just pitches out of date vials all the time. He says they work fine w/o starter (not that I endorse this). If you decide to go with US-05, you don't really need to bother with the liquid yeast at all. Make a starter out of it and use it for your next brew.

Thanks, that was kind of my thought, but when I started out I had some iffy batches when I used dry yeast, and since switching to liquid (w/ starters) I've had great batches for the most part. Of course, I changed a few other things like fermentation temps and water, so... eh. Think I'll try the dry again. :mug:

Back