Magnum Hops?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Cpt_Kirks

Reaction score
Anybody use Magnum? If so, how well does it go with Hallertau and Saaz?

Love me some Nobles!

:rockin:

I used a bunch in my RIS and will also be using them to bitter up my HEFE this weekend.

Like flyangler18 said, it is a nice clean bittering hop.

To the detriment of the flavor profile IMHO....but it's still a mighty tasty beer. Personally I dig them for bittering but not for flavor & aroma additions since they don't really bring much to the table.

From my experience it brings nothing to the table for flavor or aroma but I will agree that it is one hell of a bittering hop.

For no reason other than economy of usage, every brewer should have an ample supply of a high-alpha bittering hop on hand. Galena, Nugget, Magnum. A little goes a long way, and you can use it to bitter just about anything.

For no reason other than economy of usage, every brewer should have an ample supply of a high-alpha bittering hop on hand. Galena, Nugget, Magnum. A little goes a long way, and you can use it to bitter just about anything.

True dat...economy plus you can reduce the amount of veg material in the kettle with high alpha bittering on a hop heavy brew.

I have used Zeus hops a number of times for bittering. Its between 16-17%. I'm don't know if it is as clean as magnum but since i enjoy them i don't mind.

Made a MAGNUM P.A. last summer and it turned out awesome. What was even better is that when I was done with the secondary for that beer I racked another Fuggles P.A. onto the cake. I had both flavors of each in the second batch. Was fantastic. Although Mag doesn't bring the flavor aroma to the table, the beer was highly quaffable.

Good point on High AA Hops. Always good to have.

WW

I'm putting together a Hops Direct order. They have German Magnum for $18.50/lb and American Magnum for $24.00/lb. It's hard to say what alpha acids I'll get without calling first, but they look to be in the same range. Is there a preference and why?

I'm putting together a Hops Direct order. They have German Magnum for $18.50/lb and American Magnum for $24.00/lb. It's hard to say what alpha acids I'll get without calling first, but they look to be in the same range. Is there a preference and why?

I've only used the US Magnum myself, but I can't imagine there is substantial difference between the two.

I have about 10 ounces of Magnum and Galena...

Not that you will get the same lot that I did from HD, but here is what I got. You can call them and I am sure they can tell you... they are excellent people to talk to who are very enthusiastic about what they do. Service there is top notch.

Magnum (GR) 14.7AA

Galena 10.1AA

Lately, other than some high AA US Saaz, Magnum is all I use for bittering. I'm gonna order a pound of Magnum soon.

Back