AAU Calc. vs Beer Smith AAU Calc.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

C2H6O

Primary
Reaction score
According to Palmer's book you can calculate the AAU's by multiplying the % and weight. So my Galena hops are 10.1% and the recipe calls for 6 AAU's. I plan to add .6 oz. When I plugged these values into beer smith it came out at 1.2 AAU. Can someone explain to me the discrepancy?

According to Palmer's book you can calculate the AAU's by multiplying the % and weight. So my Galena hops are 10.1% and the recipe calls for 6 AAU's. I plan to add .6 oz. When I plugged these values into beer smith it came out at 1.2 AAU. Can someone explain to me the discrepancy?

Different boil times/gravities. What do you have set for the boil volume and time? A 60 minute boil would give you much more IBUs than a 5 minute boil, for example, and a higher SG wort will give you less utilization.

Total batch size is 5 gal. Initial boil is 2 gal for 60 minutes. The OG = 1.045.

Your formula is for HBU's - Home Brew Units.
It was in Joy of Homebrewing, too.

It's a way to compare the relative bitterness of recipes,
but it ignores a lot of variables such as boil gravity and boil time.
Tinseth, Daniels, and Rager formulas are much more complex, and yet each is still only an approximation of actual IBUs.

Back