60 qt igloo ice cube MLT

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Irish1225

Reaction score
did a search but all the topics regarding this cooler were somewhat old...

picked it up today for $26 at wal-mart being i couldn't find anything at the size and narrower dimensions for any cheaper.

wondering who uses/has used this cooler for an MLT; and what everyone thinks. noticed the pre-installed spigot is at an angle and think i've managed to to maybe leave half a quart at the bottom. just might have to get a larger nipple to make it more water-tight.

i used one for a while with a CPVC manifold at the bottom, it worked well, but i made a few mistakes

I put a larger spigot on it, which was fine, but i glued the manifold to that. Going back i would glue the manifold together, and not glue it onto the spigot, it would allow me to remove the manifold to clean, as well as removal of the grain. After only a few batches i broke the manifold while trying to empty the grain. And decided to go to a metal manifold in my new MLT. Which is a completely different animal. The CPVC is by far an easier and cheaper route than what i had done, and would be good for your situation.

I just made a MLT out of one of these coolers, seems to work fine thus far. I was able to use fittings from lowes and pieced together for about 20. I'm using a 1/2 in nipple and some shims with neoprene washer.

Just because a topic is old, doesn't mean the information is any less valid. ;) Sure, I've made two MLTs from Coleman Xtreme coolers before. It cost about $25 in parts from Home Depot to set it all up for mashing and sparging.

I currently use this cooler and a cpvc manifold. My version of the cooler didn't have a spigot, so I had to drill the hole myself. Works fine, though I do have the angled manifold that you mentioned. All said, i'm still able to get 80% efficiency with my setup

Back