Bottle Share Pictures

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Ridiculous bottle share which someone I had never met in real life until we got there and the only thing I had to provide was a taco dip (no beer).

Oh yeah and amazingly someone just gave me an unopened 2013 BCBS coffee variant at the end because I mentioned I've only had the regular (poor me, I know). He had brought one, but we didn't get to it, so he just gave me a bottle. I can't imagine having so much good beer that you would just give that out. And I had never met the person before. So cool!

lvb9u4z.jpg

Smog City Anniversary Saison
Heady Topper (fresh and year old)
Manhattan Project Mead
Parabola
Fou Foune
Beatification
Rue De Floyd
Double Sunshine
Maple Bacon Coffee Porter
Sinner's Blend 08
2004 Double Bastard
Surette Reserva
Darkness 2009-2011
Hunahpus
Genealogy of Morals
Abraxas
Dark Lord 2011
Peche N Brett
Chocolate Rain
Mocha Wednesday
Grey Monday
Anna
Fantasia
L'Brett D' Blackberry
Petite Mutant
Bell's Eccentric Ale 2008
Smore Money Smore Problems
Lou Pepe Framboise 2010
Westbrook Gose
Cable Car 2009
50N 4E
Calvados Barrel Beer Geek Brunch Weasel
Cognac Barrel Beer Geek Brunch Weasel
Daybreak
Walmart Brand Great Value Pineapple Beer

Dude!! Invite me, I promise to bring some decent stuff. I may have to sleep in someone's hallway, because I sure wouldn't be driving if I took part in that...

EPIC.

13380_352804094929588_6564292233609275455_n_zpsdeio8gk9.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

Highlights: 2007 Iris, Quality of Life Batch 1, Tigerlily, Deux Tetes, Barrel Aged Gonzo, SR-71, Or Xata, Saison Bernice, Eclipse Masterpiece, Upper Case, Wizard Buarial Ground, BBA Flying Mouflan, Hellshire 1 & 2, Christmas Morning Stout, Wild Streak, LambicX 2008, Track #10, Veritas 013, Brewers Brunch Stout CCB, The Event Horizon, Rambutan Lambic, Cherry Funk, Geriatric Hipster Club, Cherry Oude Tart, West Ashley, and DG 3S.

Send off night for a local enthusiast.

I organized a 7 year KBS vertical. We had 8 people drinking. We also compared to Sunday Morning Stout. And then we had a few beers after. Not pictured but we also drank a growler of Alpine Duet and some home brew.

s9gpmCy.jpg

jUtOXtx.jpg

wdCushM.jpg

I organized a 7 year KBS vertical. We had 8 people drinking. We also compared to Sunday Morning Stout. And then we had a few beers after. Not pictured but we also drank a growler of Alpine Duet and some home brew.

s9gpmCy.jpg

jUtOXtx.jpg

wdCushM.jpg

Well, how did the years rank? And where did SMS fall in that lineup?

I can't rank them. My palette isn't that refined. I think there wasn't much difference between '09 and '11 - '13. Some liked the 9 or 11 the best. The '10 had a weird caramel note that some liked and some didn't. Oddly enough we had some extra of all years and poured them together and that one was amazing. Sort of took the best things from all the years I guess. Bizarre I know.

I know a lot of people say not to age coffee beers, but it still was an amazing beer with some age. And I know some have said that Sunday Morning Stout was better, but I disagree after having them side by side.

I wonder if people saying it aren't doing side by side comparisons.

Seems like a lot of people that preach the SMS is better are located in PA (coincidence?). Personally, I like SMS, but not any better or worse than the past couple years KBS. SMS is more bitter, in your face coffee and little barrel/chocolate, KBS is more balanced between all the flavors. Both good, just depends on the mood I guess. It seems like KBS is falling off the past 2-3 years though, I would put 2012 and earlier KBS over SMS easy.

I did a 6 year vertical a couple years ago, I think it was 08'-13'. I found the coffee to fade off more noticeably after a couple years than from fresh to 2 years. 3+years was more smooth rich/chocolatey/bourbon. Personally, I like the fresh better due to the fresh coffee and bourbon flavors.

It was mediocre at best. Everyone agreed it wasn't that well done. Mouthfeel and carbonation was off, artificial vanilla flavour and not much else. Would have been a decent homebrew, but not much more.

Oo I had a bottle that was really good, I thought it was great. Smooth and balanced, no syrupy flavors

I hosted a blind IPA/DIPA tasting last weekend. Here are the pictures, results and notes.

Random notes:
- Wicked Weeds makes amazing IPAs (as if we didn't know that). I don't know if Freak was the unanimous winner, but only one person didn't give it their highest score of the night. It was my favorite.
- I think On the Wings of Armageddon was a surprise for some, but I loved it the one other time I had it, so I knew it would do well.
- Country Boy's Cliff Jumper was a surprise for me. It was awesome.
- I'm surprised that only me and one other gave Sculpin high ratings. Everyone else rated it around their average score.
- Most of my rankings were what I would have expected except Fantasy Factory. I love that beer, but the one we drank wasn't very good. No date coding, so I can only assume it was old.
- Out of 19 beers in cans or bottles, only 10 had date codes. 2 had codes that appeared to be Julian dates. C'mon breweries, you can do better than that.
- I'm happy that my Sculpin clone was rated close to the real thing by most people. I would have liked the score to be higher, but apparently I found 5 people that don't love Sculpin. My other home brew didn't fare so well.
- When hosting a blind tasting, it pays to be prepared. I had the cups prepared with labels with random codes on them. I had the tasting ballots printed out. I'm shocked how well it went as I assumed I'd eventually screw something up due to drinking. But that leads to...
- ~2 oz is plenty for each sample to avoid getting too drunk. We did 24 beers over a few hours and I was fine until we started cracking big beers and finishing off the leftover IPAs. And Kroger's 3 oz "bathroom" cups worked really well for this. (sorry environment for using so many cups, but they are going in the recycling bin and hopefully they actually get recycled).
- If anyone wants to dig into the data, it's here - https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1QSCgLCFLix-QCML4y2CgedB9VE7lEUVyYS5KYF9pQmM/edit?usp=sharing

NSFmn9L.jpg

IuRdCwo.jpg

I7pXChf.jpg

Back