Looking for an EXPERT!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sarafin

Reaction score
Hello Everyone!

My husband is a regular on here!

I am interested in getting him a kegging system for a present...
I don't know anything about this, any info/advice is highly appreciated!! I have found some things online for for thousands of dollars, unfortunately for us, that's not in our budget! He has mentioned before getting a min fridge and a conversion kit. He loves to home brew and would like to use it for that instead of bottling like he does now. The brew store he goes to said I get everything I need for $200 or so. We don't currently have a fridge for it have people tell me to go old fridge and also mini fridge.

Thanks in advance for any help!

Sara:p

There are a ton of different options for the fridge part. You can use a chest freezer with a temperature controller, a mini fridge as long as it is big enough, or a full sized fridge. If you are trying to do it cheap then keep out on craigslist, they pop up on there all the time. For all the components I would reccomend taking a look at http://stores.kegconnection.com/StoreFront.bok. They sell kits on there that have everything you need.

If you can pick up a CO2 tank, regulator, hoses and kegs from your home brew store, your husband can put it in an old fridge and use a finger tap until he collects the rest. Some people convert old freezers into fridges and some use fridges. Let him decide which one he wants to do. Just get the kegging equipment and if there is still some money in the budget give him the cash and let him work it out for himself.

Great advice! Thanks for the info! I knew this was the place to go by the way my husband talks about this website!!! Thanks so much! I appreciate hearing from people who have done it before and know first hand! Have a wonderful day!

If you can pick up a CO2 tank, regulator, hoses and kegs from your home brew store, your husband can put it in an old fridge and use a finger tap until he collects the rest. Some people convert old freezers into fridges and some use fridges. Let him decide which one he wants to do. Just get the kegging equipment and if there is still some money in the budget give him the cash and let him work it out for himself.

I was composing a similar post along the same lines when i gave up because I'm not a kegger. But yeah, there are a ton of options with the fridge, not so many with the kegging equipment, so that is the place to start.

Here is a good kit from kegconnection for 179$ they are a sponsor on this site . Ohh even though you buying for you husband be prepared for the marriage proposals.:D

and they will customize it to his specks. I would get at least 10ft lines and maybe ditch the party taps for shanks and faucets.

2 Keg Basic Homebrew5000STANDARD.jpg

Thanks Springer! Haha, that's funny!! Well, I love my beer too so it's like both our birthdays! Have a great day!

if your husband is a regular on here, concider giving him a card offering whatever dollar amount you wish, and let him decide which way he wants to go. That way there is less risk in getting him a package that is different than what he wants. I know my wife doesn't have a clue what even went into the one we have.

+1 on the kit springer posted. Great entry level system, but I would personally recomend this one http://stores.kegconnection.com/Detail.bok?no=324 for only $20 more (2 regulators)

either of those kits will work with almost any system, and can easily be converted to a tower or door mounted faucets.

For a total system (new) you would be looking at arround $450+ or a decent used setup from craigslist could be found for as little as $200.

HAHA! Thanks for the advice/suggestions! His birthday is this weekend so I gotta get to it! I have a lot to think about. My husband wants me to get into home brewing with him, believe it or not, so maybe I will see ya later!

Oh well that's nice of her! Just likes being around you! I do have one other question about what you wrote last...what do you mean a used set up?

if your husband is a regular on here, concider giving him a card offering whatever dollar amount you wish, and let him decide which way he wants to go. That way there is less risk in getting him a package that is different than what he wants. I know my wife doesn't have a clue what even went into the one we have.

+1 on the kit springer posted. Great entry level system, but I would personally recomend this one http://stores.kegconnection.com/Detail.bok?no=324 for only $20 more (2 regulators)

either of those kits will work with almost any system, and can easily be converted to a tower or door mounted faucets.

For a total system (new) you would be looking at arround $450+ or a decent used setup from craigslist could be found for as little as $200.

+1 on this recommendation.....I have that kit from Kegconnection and it's great. Only grudge is I wish I had called and asked for an upgrade to 10' beer lines, (probably only would have been 5 bucks extra).

Okay so I was looking at the local brew stores website to see if they had any deals there or anything. And they have a dual gauge regulator for $65 or a remanufactured dual gauge regulator (90 day warranty) for $45...

Refrigerator Conversion Kit
Includes sankey tap, airline, beer line, fittings, beer faucet, shank, drain line,
dual gauge, CO2 regulator, clamps, drip
tray, mounting screw, and instructions. CO2 tank no included.
$169.99

Good price? Missing anything?

Refrigerator Conversion Kit
Includes sankey tap, airline, beer line, fittings, beer faucet, shank, drain line,
dual gauge, CO2 regulator, clamps, drip
tray, mounting screw, and instructions. CO2 tank no included.
$169.99

Good price? Missing anything?

A Sankey tap is meant for commercial kegs. He will need to get 5 gallon Cornelius kegs and quick disconnects to use that setup for homebrew.

Also, if he has beer faucets, he'll want them to be Perlicks. They are the gold standard around here, and for the 10 dollar price difference they are SO worth it. Until you want to drop the extra 100 on new perlicks, shanks, etc. for a tap setup, the picnic taps, (plastic things like from college days), that are on the kegconnection kits linked to earlier will work great.

Okay thanks! So, maybe new then..

Okay so no sankey tap!! WOW, this is a lot of info...
Must of taken you guys so long to lean about all of this! My mind feels like it is gonna explode! HA!

You guys are such suckers! I bet Sarafin is really a fat sweaty dude who stumbled onto this site after getting caught cheating at Dungeons and Dragons. ;)

I kid! I kid! :D

k, this kegconnection thing is looking better and better! He is new to this.. I think he would love to have anything! Also, I want him to have something to open, I want to see his face!! I think he'll be shocked! Wonder how much shipping is? O, I can upgrade to 10 ft lines? Can I get it without knowing what he might want for a fridge? Can I upgrade to shanks and faucets or buy separately? Sorry if I am being annoying.. lots of info!!

Ah Yuck! I have never had anyone describe me as a sweaty dude before, lovely! Uh no I am a girl just lookin for someone with knowledge on kegging..this is called homebrewtalk, right? haha!

The good thing about this hobby is that despite the expense, he will always find a good use for everything that you buy him. The stuff may not get used in the way intended, but it WILL get used. The obsession demands it. :)

the 2 kegconnection kits that were listed are both great products for a starter, just fill the CO2 tank, throw it in a fridge and go. everything beyond that is an upgrade that can be added at a later time.

All Seasons, in my experienced, is very overpriced.

Here's something else: www.rebelbrewer.com

They are up in Goodlettesville and Tom (the owner) is also a member here at homebrewtalk. They have tons of knowledge and I'm sure he could hook you up with everything you need.

Definitely check out rebelbrewer.com either in person if you can or online at least. They have a kegging set up similar to what you have mentioned from all seasons, but it includes the CO2 tank. I just looked at their website again (rebelbrewer) and it looks like you could get everything you neeed for just a couple dollars more than 200. Give Tom a call and let him know what you're looking for or have him look at this thread. As close as you are to his place it would be a shame to buy somewhere else. Good luck!!

All Seasons, in my experienced, is very overpriced.

Here's something else: www.rebelbrewer.com

They are up in Goodlettesville and Tom (the owner) is also a member here at homebrewtalk. They have tons of knowledge and I'm sure he could hook you up with everything you need.

I used to buy everything i needed at All Seasons, but i also used to do Brewers Best kits when I was in Nashville., they always had good advice, and were 5 min from where I lived (next to Belmont University)

Yeah, I think I am going to go with rebelbrewer. If it's a good store with good prices..my husband will go there all the time, like he does with this cigar store he loves...preferred customer, haha!

Yeah my husband has used those brewers best kits, he likes them too. They have always turned out! The people are really friendly and helpful there!

The bare minimum I would recommend for a base-line keg system would be the following:
1X 5# C02 tank (Can be filled at your LHBS, Welding supply, or Fire Extengusher supply house)
1X 5Gal Corney keg (Ball lock preffered, pin lock only as a last resort)
10' Beer Line (reduces foaming)
5-10' Gas line
1X Gas in (Ball/Pin) connection, depends on the keg
1X Beer out (Ball/Pin) connection, depends on the keg
1X C02 dual guage regulator, shows tank gas and output (Line) pressure
1X thumb tap (Party tap)

Additional upgrades would be
Additional 5gal kegs
Door tap kit, includes pouring tap, door shank(4"), tail nut, Beer line barb
Tap handle

Here's an example of a converted fridge with additional items
DSC_2414.jpg

Inside hookup
DSC_2466.jpg

Here's a party tap and gas/beer disconnects (ball lock)
DSC_2467.jpg

Hope the pics help

Edit: And I'm no expert Jester on these forums would be what I consider the resident expert. Read this thread of great ideas: https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f51/keezer-project-31221/

Back