immersion chiller idea?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BugleBrew

Reaction score
So I have a copper immersion chiller. The problem is that my water comes out of the tap at about 74 degrees making it difficult to get the wort below 80. I would get another copper immersion chiller to put in an ice water bath to chill down the water before entering the immersion chiller in the wort, but I don't want to spend that kind of money. What about making something similar out of vinyl tubing. I think I have the logistics figured out, but was wondering if anyone thinks vinyl transfers temperature enough to be effective, or something like copper needs to be used. I'm trying to do this on the cheap.

Buy a 6 GPM pond pump at Walmart, put in a cooler with ice water, run vinyl tubing to chiller and use the out water for cleaning. And instead of buying ice, use gallon jugs of tap water that you throw in the freezer the night before. Will get you down to 75 in less than 15 minutes. The pump will cost you about $30.

Vinyl doesn't have enough thermal transfer for it to be effective. Highplainsdrifter and shertz have a good idea.

Pump it is. I'm kicking myself for not thinking of something that simple. I guess I just assumed all pumps are really expensive. Thanks all.

Back