Using expired yeast....having trouble

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

eastwood44mag

Reaction score
My yeast was dated Nov 2005, so it's a bit old. I'm running 2 batches, started Saturday night, which as of this morning are just barely bubbling. One is really slow, the other is at 1/10 the speed (really bad, here).

Any tips on how to speed it up? Should I let them ferment longer? Advice appreciated. Thanks.

In the future use a starter. Especially with expred yeast, a starter is mandatory, IMHO.

For now, two options, either buy more yeast and pitch another tube, or hope like heck they finish.

at what temperature are you fermenting? you may need to let them ferment for a while... or you may have to pitch some healthy yeast. in the future, a starter is definitely in order for expired yeast -- i'm assuming you didn't make a starter...

That's a long lag time. Unless they pick up today, I'd seriously think about pitching some dry yeast to get it going.

You have to make a starter with liquid yeast. Especially if it's expired.

Well, 2 are now going nice and fast (had one using fresh yeast, but it was lagging before), the other is still really slow (but it is fermenting).

Do I need to let the primary run longer, due to the lag, or should I rack them on normal schedule?

I'd rack them next weekend or so if they're going good now. Sunday would probably be a good day. Then 2-3 weeks minimum in the secondary and you'll be set.

Glad they got going! :D

eastwood44mag said:
My yeast was dated Nov 2005, so it's a bit old. I'm running 2 batches, started Saturday night, which as of this morning are just barely bubbling. One is really slow, the other is at 1/10 the speed (really bad, here).

Any tips on how to speed it up? Should I let them ferment longer? Advice appreciated. Thanks.

Naah, that's not old. I popped a pack of Wyeast czech pilsner yeast dated July /04, 4 days ago and it did swell to the bursting point today so into a starter it went. I'll step this up a few times to get a gallon starter to be ready when I brew sometime next week. As the guys said, a starter should always be made for liquid yeast, especially for a lager.:)

The last batch is finally starting to pick-up. Now my apartment is filled with the sweet aroma of fermentation.:mug:

Back