Better efficiency 3g vs 5g

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Izzie1701

Reaction score
Just did my first 2 3g batches today. I usually do 5g. Is it normal to get better efficiency with 3g. I did everything the same. Same grind, same mash thickness, same mash tun, same sparge but my efficiency was 7% higher. With 5g batches I usually hit 73% but I hit 80% with both these. Only thing different was I did a 60min mash rather then a 90 min. I wouldn't expect this to effect efficiency positively though?

Just did my first 2 3g batches today. I usually do 5g. Is it normal to get better efficiency with 3g. I did everything the same. Same grind, same mash thickness, same mash tun, same sparge but my efficiency was 7% higher. With 5g batches I usually hit 73% but I hit 80% with both these. Only thing different was I did a 60min mash rather then a 90 min. I wouldn't expect this to effect efficiency positively though?

For the same water to grain ratios (both strike and total) the efficiencies should be the same, all else being equal. So, something must not have been equal. Without the appropriate measurements, it is not possible to know if the increase was due to better conversion efficiency, better lauter efficiency, or just measurement error.

Brew on :mug:

If using the same same vessel with the same boil off, then you may be sparging more to hit your final volume...?

If using the same same vessel with the same boil off, then you may be sparging more to hit your final volume...?

This makes sense. I did have a thinner sparge grain to water ratio with these brews. My conversion on the stout was 96% but I think this may have been a measurement error. Seemed very high. The blonde ale was 70%. I could be measuring this wrong though. In Brewers friend do I enter my SG before or after I sparge when it says SG at mash completion. I assumed the SG at mash completion was before I sparge and then pre boil SG was after the sparge?

Back