How to select which hop to dry hop with?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mtnagel

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
I'm new to recipe design. Does it matter what hops you have in the recipe or can you pick any hop for dry hopping?

Specifically I brewed 10 gallons of an APA and I'd like to dry hop each 5 gallon batch with different hops. I used:
- 1/2 oz summit at 60 mins
- 1/2 oz centennial at 30 mins
- 1/2 oz cascade at 10 mins
- 1 oz glacier at hop stand

I plan to dry hop with 1 oz cascade in one batch, but how should I decide what to dry hop with in the other?

You only wrote down that you have 1/2 oz of cascade. Do you have the full oz? If you do that would be good. Dry hop with that on one and go with a Glacier and Summit mix in the other. Honestly, I would go with the Centennial as well but the Summit and Glacier will work well with each other.

I have 1 oz of cascade for dry hopping in one 5 gal batch. The amounts in the bulleted list are what I added in the batch at the time indicated. Make sense?

I will have to buy whatever to dry hop in the other. I'd rather not do a mix as I'd have to buy an oz of each to blend. It would be nice to be able to see what one hop does too.

Im sorry I read that wrong. *BEER* OK, so you used those hops in the beer. Ok, Dry hop with the full oz of Cascade and .5 oz Centennial in one. I love those hops. Try .75 of each Glacier and Summit to give you a total of 1.5 oz of dry hop in the second. Everybody will give you there own opinion but honestly, you can go wrong with what you have. Even if you just throw equal amounts in each carboy your good to go.

Ok, got a curve ball. So you dont have these hops on hand. You got a full oz of Cascade and want to find a good hop to work with in the other. Ok, Wheew. Keep it to what you have in the beer. Honestly, you used good hops and any of those will work well. I like to blend them but you might have to buy an oz of each to do it. Thats fine if you do it. 2oz of hops is a great dry hop addition. I would say to go with what ever one you liked the best when you added them and go with that. Keep it simple and it will come out great.

I have dry hopped with completely different hops before and it does work. Just go with a hop that will bring out what you are looking for. With what you used, I would stick to one of those as you have some really fruity, citrus hops in there. Dont go with a spicy, mild hop. If you are going to switch, go with something really fruity. Citra, Sorachi Ace, etc. Otherwise, just stick with what you have in the beer.

Back