I have Chill Haze

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TyGuy716

Reaction score
I think I correctly identified my recent IPA (probably more IIPA) as having chill haze. At room temperature my bottles are very clear, but when refrigerated the beer looks very cloudy and is not longer clear.

I have only been storing them in the refrigerator for about 3 days prior to opening them. If I condition them longer in the refrigerator will that clear up my chill haze or is it something I just will have to deal with?

Thanks

More time in the fridge should help (2 weeks+), but keep in mind that a bit of haziness in dry-hopped IPA's is acceptable even in unfiltered commercial examples.

2 weeks is usually as clear as they get. And I agree with the above posters, most IPAs or dry hopped beers tend to have some haze. The longer the better. I've had a few heavily dry hopped beers be crystal clear after more than 2 weeks in a fridge.

What temperature did you pour the sample at? Is that the same temperature you plan to serve at? I've had beers that were very cloudy in the fridge, but once they were raised to my usual serving temperature (50-55) they were clear.

I think it was probably around 36-40 degrees. It looks more than hazy, looks more like dirty beer but tastes fine and is clear at room temp as I said before.

I also think the beer came out darker than intended which probably contributes to the "dirty" look.

Serve at 50. 36 is way too cold for good beer--it's great for beers you don't want to taste.

Back