Sous vide recipes?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Cromwell

Reaction score
I used the electric BK with a PID to sous vide 5 steaks over the weekend. I didn't take pics (sorry!) but I will say they looked awesome! Perfectly medium rare from one side to the other every bit of meat perfectly cooked with only the very thinnest layer of browned meat on the entire outside. Tender as Filets. I cooked 4 NY steaks for 12 hours and I also put in a chuck steak the night before (so it had 24 hours) at 131F, and even the chuck steak was nearly as tender as the NY steaks. And easy? I tossed the steaks into the pot and walked away. When it's time for dinner, I heated the cast-iron skillet very hot, and tossed in two steaks at a time to sear them. Took about 5 minutes when it was time to eat - faster than a microwave dinner.

But the steaks didn't have as much flavor as I'd like. I just put a little salt and pepper on them before I vacu-packed them.

So in a nutshell, let's take this to the next level. If you've done this, what do you put in the bags? And do you dry steaks first? What else is good - chicken, fish?

I have 4 more steaks in the Sous vide cooker now. I put garlic powder, a little home made chili seasoning and a good amount of kosher salt and pepper. Plan on frying some onions with blue cheese sauce melted with some milk or cream for the top. Always a winner at my house!!!!!!

Ok talk about taking to the next level, anyone know how to keep the edges of the chicken that is in the food saver bag from having a point from the vacuum? The chicken last night was great, just had and unappealing shape!

I rubbed some beef ribs on Thursday, put them on the smoker for 4 hours on Friday, and then in the sous vide for 2 days.
When they came out, I torched them, then glazed with BBQ sauce and torched them lightly again.
Mighty fine. Most tender and juicy ribs I've ever had.

Ribs.jpg

I looked up a lot of recipes online for ribs. If I was going to BBQ them traditionally they'd take 6-8 hours in the BBQ, so I figured it'd have to be a while. I'm not sure I totally understand all of it, but it seems that you have to leave meat in for under 6 hours, or else for a long time, that it's only at 8-10 hours that food safety is a problem. Anyway, there's a lot of recipes out there for BBQ short ribs that stay in the water for 72 hours. I didn't see the need, and these were juicy and completely tender. I did them at 141, but the family thought they'd be better at a higher temp. I like my meat more rare, but they're not used to ribs being medium rare I guess.

Let me know what approach you take. I smoked them, then put them in the water, but you might be able to sous vide them first, then smoke them, if you like carmelized BBQ sauce on them. I had to use the torch to get the sauce thick.

24 Hour Sous-Vide Pork Belly Confit, for an appetizer tomorrow. 2 hours left to go. Then it gets compressed overnight and reheated and crisped up for tomorrow.

Trying a different setup that I usually use, a 4 dollar Salvation Army 2 gallon coffee urn.

65059F5A-C929-40CB-8D51-FC97F9475575-13615-000026436DCA2F06.jpg

Back