Recipe Critique: American in Pilsen No-Pils Beer

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

organicrust

Reaction score
So I want to brew a beer similar to a Bohemian Pilsner, but with an ale yeast. Here is the recipe that I have settled on.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Type: All Grain
Batch Size (fermenter): 3.25
Boil Size: 3.00 gal
Boil Time: 60 min Equipment: Pot ( 3 Gal/11.4 L)
End of Boil Volume 2.78 gal Brewhouse Efficiency: 62.00 %
Final Bottling Volume: 3.00 gal Est Mash Efficiency 62.0 %
Fermentation: Ale, Two Stage Taste Rating(out of 50): 30.0

Ingredients:

6 lbs 8.0 oz Pale Malt (2 Row) US (2.0 SRM) Grain 1 93.7 %

4.0 oz Caramel/Crystal Malt - 20L (20.0 SRM) Grain 2 3.6 %

3.0 oz Victory Malt (25.0 SRM) Grain 3 2.7 %

0.50 oz Sterling [7.50 %] - First Wort 60.0 min Hop 4 23.6 IBUs

0.33 oz Sterling [7.50 %] - Boil 30.0 min Hop 5 10.9 IBUs

0.33 oz Sterling [7.50 %] - Boil 15.0 min Hop 6 7.0 IBUs

0.83 oz Sterling [7.50 %] - Boil 0.0 min Hop 7 0.0 IBUs

1.0 pkg German Ale/Kolsch (White Labs #WLP029) [35.49 ml] Yeast 8 -

Beer Profile

Est Original Gravity: 1.048 SG
Est Final Gravity: 1.011 SG
Estimated Alcohol by Vol: 4.8 %
Bitterness: 41.6 IBUs
Est Color: 5.7 SRM
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I will perform a step mash consisting of a 20 min rest at 104 F, a sacc rest at 153 F until conversion and then mash-out at 168 F.

I plan to ferment at the low end for WLP029, probably ~62 F and then will "lager" for a few weeks at ~40 F. If I had the equipment, I would use a real lager yeast, but unfortunately that is not possible.

I tried to play it conservatively with the crystal malt and I added some victory for a little toasty malt flavor (I really like toasty malt).

I choose Sterling over Saaz because Sterling stores better and is more likely to be fresh at my LHBS. It is also keeping with the theme of American ingredients.

What do you think about it? Any suggestions about yeast choice or the grain bill?

Thanks for your consideration.

Why no pilsner malt? wlp029 is a fantastic strain and will give you what you are looking for the best out of any ale yeast you could find...

From what I've read, pilsner malt is not a prerequisite for a good pilsner. In "Designing Great Beers" it is noted that half of the second round pilsners used 2-row instead of pilsner.

It's also nice not to worry as much about boiling longer to reduce sulfur compounds or whether you should perform a protein rest. Eliminating those two steps will shave an hour off my brew day.

Plus I am cheap and my LHBS prices pilsner much higher than american 2-row. It also goes along with the working title.

Back