Blackberry wine question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

goosen1

Reaction score
I have about 5 1/2 gallons of blackberry wine that's just about to come out of the secondary. It's starting to clear and the SG is at 0.992. It's a bit on the acidic side and I was wondering if it will mellow out when it's ready to bottle or I can pitch in some Calcium Carbonate to help it out? I went to the LHBS today and forgot to get the acid test kit... UGH!!! But the wine tastes great for being 11 days old!!

I have about 5 1/2 gallons of blackberry wine that's just about to come out of the secondary. It's starting to clear and the SG is at 0.992. It's a bit on the acidic side and I was wondering if it will mellow out when it's ready to bottle or I can pitch in some Calcium Carbonate to help it out? I went to the LHBS today and forgot to get the acid test kit... UGH!!! But the wine tastes great for being 11 days old!!

It will be better once it ages a bit. I wouldn't use chalk.

Thanks for the reply!! I will have to say it's quite good and it's about 13.3%. But wow!!! I feel it in my chest!!!

I have had some aging for about 3-4 months and it has mellowed a LOT! I wouldn't add anything until it ages out some.

I will do that... Between this and the Apfelwein, I will be drooling every time I walk by them for then next six months!!!

Funny thing about Blackberry wine...have aged mine in bottle for 12 mo. and still had a bite to it..but gone at 14 mo and very smooth.....

I don't think my mother in law would be able to wait that long, but who knows... She might forget that I made it!!!

I let mine age for about 6 months and it taste great I moved mine of the secondary into a third.

Hah! I wouldn't worry about her forgetting, just let her know that it will be better once it ages a bit. As stated before, you could drink it now but you're going to feel it. 'It gets better with age' is definitely the key phrase in this setting.

Yea I have to split my blackberry wine with a farmer as it is his berries....He gives it a taste test with a chaw of tobbaco in his mouth and tells me it is not sweet enough. Also asked me if I could make it without alcohol and I told him no , but Jesus could.

Back