Johnson Temperature Controller

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tizzomes

Reaction score
Now that it's getting colder I'm putting my carboy in a tub of water with a aquarium water heater.At its lowest setting the water is stabilizing at 70.So my question is could I use my temp controller to help lower the temp?Could the proub be submerged under water.65 would be ideal .........

I know the probe is ment to go inside of a refrigerator or freezer to read the temp.My thoughts are to plug it all together and plop the probe in the water....

My understanding is the controller only controls the flow of electricity going to whatever is connected to it. I think your idea should work. You could always wrap your probe in saran wrap if you are worried about putting the probe directly in the water.

Let us know if this works. I actually think I am going to try it myself but my next brew is going to be a lager so I don't need it. Good luck!

I think he/she is referring to inserting the probe in water. Putting a condom around it would prevent water touching the probe. I believe the concern is corrosion.

Okay, makes sense now, I always get concerned when people use Johnson and condom in the same thread. Thanks.

BillyBeer said:
I have seen guys use a condom for the end of the "Probe" :)

Seriously - it works great.

Sounds like a good idea until my wife finds a box of condoms next to my equipment. " Its for making beer I swear " lol !

The popular Johnson has jumper pins inside that allow you to switch it from cooling mode to heating mode. You have to remove the 4 screws and change the jumper. you can also change whether it comes on when it hits the setpoint, or when it hits the differential.

If it's not that model, than ignore my post.

Back