Breakfast Brown Ale (Thoughts?)

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

pianobrew

Reaction score
This is my first attempt to building my own recipe. I will be doing a partial mash brown ale. Comment please.

1 lb Dark Brown Sugar
1 lb Real Maple Syrup
3 lbs Gold Malt Extract
3 lbs Simpsons Golden Promise
4 oz. Biscuit Malt
4 oz. Coffee Malt
4 oz. Caramel 60L
1 oz. Perle
1 oz. Fuggle (@10 min)

I would roll with something like this:

.5 lbs Brown Sugar
3 lbs LME
2 lbs Simpson's
.5 lbs Biscuit
.5 lbs Coffee
.5 lbs Crystal 60

This bumps up the specialty grains for some character. Coffee is such a light roast, you can bump it up without getting that bite and heavy roast flavor. To keep the gravity from getting too high I pulled some 2-row, most of the b. sugar and all the maple syrup which really won't add much flavor.

Then I'd use an English yeast. Danstar Windsor or S-04 should do.
The hops look fine.

I think it will finish very dry, with little noticeable flavor impact from the sugars. I agree with PT Ray's analysis and suggestions.

Cheers!

Bob

Could I add maplewood chips to the secondary to get some maple flavor instead of the syrup?

Thanks for your suggestions!

Have you thought about using maple extract?

300.jpg

$6.95 plus free shipping. Not sure if were allowed to post links.

Real maple syrup doesn't add a discernible flavor when fermented. 99% (or something like that) of maple syrup is fermentable and leaves behind little maple characteristic.

I like to make a dryer beer and then prime with maple syrup. This leaves a nice, subtle maple flavor.

PianoBrew, your PM box is full and no longer accepting messages.

Back